Goodmans Magnum K Refurb and Modification (part 2)

A place for DIY project discussions.
istari_knight
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Goodmans Magnum K Refurb and Modification (part 2)

Unread post by istari_knight »

To be honest I think you were both being oversensitive, get a grip gentlemen :roll: We have learnt Doc doesn't like twisted cables & Ronin doesn't like being shouted at... Now we can move on :grin:

Thats a sensible approach on the crossovers, you're still at the experimental stage.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Good call,let's please do :oops:

I've ordered the Capacitors.

The stuff recommended for doping is quite expensive (and I'm running out of funds) .How far will a spray can of Plastidip go.I was wondering if i could use an alternative, like Wood Glue (or am I way off the mark) or can I use the spare tub of the Evo stick "impact" contact adhesive that I bought to stick the steel on with.The Bison kit seems to be quite expensive, but if there's no alternative I'll just have to bite-the-bullet.

How far did that stuff go that you bought istari.I see black is out of stock only red available (does it matter).

Doc,if the wires touching are that important,would it be worth making the effort to keep them separated somehow;maybe gluing them apart to the speaker cabinet or making little bridges up,or is that just being OTT.

cheers

Ronin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have just done 2 x 12inch 8 x 8inch 6 x 6.5inch drivers and it took about half a can. £14.89 a can on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191231386030

Once they are an inch apart any more is pointless. And it doesn't matter if they cross each other or touch each other occasionally it is the length touching that causes the problem. They should NEVER be tied together or twisted together.

istari_knight

The stuff I bought did 2 x 5" drivers with half a pot left so might just about cover the bass drivers, its OK but there is greater opportunity for fine tuning using the Docs method.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

My method needs a rubber based glue around the dust cap in a thick amount and some covering the dustcap.

istari_knight

Yep, then you spray the cone with plastidip and listen once dry... Repeating until it sounds right IIRC ? It seems a pretty foolproof method to me. The outcome will be worth the effort Ronin :guiness;

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I have just done 2 x 12inch 8 x 8inch 6 x 6.5inch drivers and it took about half a can. £14.89 a can on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191231386030
I assume that was one coat Doc.Thanks for the link.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Once they are an inch apart any more is pointless. And it doesn't matter if they cross each other or touch each other occasionally it is the length touching that causes the problem. They should NEVER be tied together or twisted together.
I'll probably just leave them swinging side by side.
istari_knight wrote:The stuff I bought did 2 x 5" drivers with half a pot left so might just about cover the bass drivers, its OK but there is greater opportunity for fine tuning using the Docs method.
Yeah,I'll probably go for the spray because I think I can get a more even coat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:My method needs a rubber based glue around the dust cap in a thick amount and some covering the dustcap.
I'm not sure the Evo-stik impact contact adhesive that I've got left over is suitable.I think because it's solvent based it may just dissolve the cone? I'll check with Bostik first .
istari_knight wrote:The outcome will be worth the effort Ronin :guiness;
I hope so istari, they sound pretty good from the off,I wouldn't want to lose what I've got.Doing some research on doping drivers revealed that some people felt the speaker lost some of it's speed because of the doping,i wouldn't want that to happen :(

Cheers

Ronin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Why do you presume?? it was three coats.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It must be rubber or neoprene based or it will harden and you have a ruined driver.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

"I hope so istari, they sound pretty good from the off,I wouldn't want to lose what I've got.Doing some research on doping drivers revealed that some people felt the speaker lost some of it's speed because of the doping,i wouldn't want that to happen :("

So you prefer to listen to idiots.