CD Player.

All general audio posts go here.
southall-1998
Wales

CD Player.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I'm asking this on behalf of my friend that happens to have no internet :roll:

He's looking for a CD player that sounds musical & very good on it's own. He doesn't like having separate dacs !!

Budget: 200-950 quid.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: CD Player.

Unread post by Andrew »

I'd say Naim CDI which is a great CD player in its own right. Unfair to just think of it as Naim because it works just as well in a wide range of systems. It has never failed to make music for me and it's a player which usually keeps you listening for hours. Built like a tank too. A really beautiful thing,

They do need to be chosen carefully though. The mechs can wear out and they aren't that easy to get direct replacements for. Earlier ones used CDM4/27 which can use donor parts from other (very common) CDM4 mechs. There is a fair amount of info on the web about this. Later players used CDM 9 pro mechs which can also be fixed in the same way.

There's a great article on the Lampizators site which claims most CD mechs which people think are worn out, are just on need of TLC. It covers at least ten ways of restoring an ailing mech and is well worth a read.

http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPO ... ology.html

The other issue can be wear to the nextel ring that the disc sits on. Try and buy a player with little or no signs of it rubbing off. CDM9 mechs have a far paler ring, so expect them to look different. Even a worn ring is usually cured by using a later puck like the CD5 one, as this grips the disc more tightly. Naim reckon they degrade the sound. Everyone who has tried them reckon Naim are talking bollocks. I agree with the majority on that one :lol:

The mechs are generally very reliable but the players are old now, so I'm just trying to cover all bases. CDIs are very saleable and often fetch £600 plus on EBay. You can get them for around £450 if you're patient. I've bought them from TomTom Audio for only £400 with a guarantee, so well worth keeping an eye on their site.

Beautiful build, completely engaging sound and readily available parts if you are willing to make a little effort. I really do love this player. I know Naim isn't everybody's cuppa and the company aren't well liked in these parts, but if you can see beyond the "Naim" they are a real gem.

selby

Unread post by selby »

I've read good things about the Oppo players. The new BDP-105 looks good and covers all basis.

However I'd look out for old Sony, the doc bought a beauty although I think it was more than £950.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

A friend of mine bought my Tube Technology Fusion off me a while back and may be selling it as he has a lot of other commitments that need sorting at the moment. Originally a £2000 player, he'd be looking for around £600. It was the best sounding CD player I heard and can also be used as a stand-alone DAC.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

southall-1998
Wales

What about the Linn Ikemi? Is it good?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I wouldn't say anything Linn is good as a matter of principle :twisted:

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

The Roksan Caspian M1 are good and only about £300 to £400 if you can find one.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

southall-1998
Wales

applemarc wrote:The Roksan Caspian M1 are good and only about £300 to £400 if you can find one.
Does Roksan still support the Caspian M1 CD player?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Yes when Jacqueline sold her Naim 3.5 she bought a Caspian M1 and had it serviced by Roksan and I have ti say it sounds so much better than the Naim
Beresford Caiman Ipod