A bit of Black Box fever...

All things NVA
Gromit
Has thanked: 0

A bit of Black Box fever...

Unread post by Gromit »

...at Gromit Towers:

<For the uninitiated, it's a Phono 2 with 2xPSU and AP10>
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: A bit of Black Box fever...

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

And !

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Very nice, Gromit. Are you just using the NVA amp with headphones or is it driving speakers too?

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:And !
Breathe? :D

The little AP10's lovely - sure it's not over-burdened with oomph (as I/one would expect) but it really sings. Can see why there's a bit of a following for it when used with very efficient speakers, think the Q's are asking a bit much of it, but within its envelope it sounds great. The AP20 adds quite a lot, mostly more security in the bass (it keeps up better, basically) but the AP10 is so listenable it seems cruel to criticise in any way. Would love to hear it into some Snell K's.

Hooked it up to my JPW Mini Monitors which worked well, although I much prefer the Q's overall.

I'm very familiar with the Phono 2 as I owned one for quite a long time some years ago. I've never heard one with the extra PSU which does give it quite a kick up the backside. It hits harder, and it gives that same effect on music as using a bigger amp - less inertia, able to lock-down rhythms, sounding less confused, more in control.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Andrew wrote:Very nice, Gromit. Are you just using the NVA amp with headphones or is it driving speakers too?
Hi Andrew - just driving speakers at the moment, not actually plugged my Grado phones in yet. Will probably do later this evening when the kids have gone to bed. :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

In Italy there is a whole group of enthusiasts using the AP10 with Klipsch.

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

Gromit wrote:
I'm very familiar with the Phono 2 as I owned one for quite a long time some years ago. I've never heard one with the extra PSU which does give it quite a kick up the backside. It hits harder, and it gives that same effect on music as using a bigger amp - less inertia, able to lock-down rhythms, sounding less confused, more in control.
Blooming' eck! Don't say that, I've only just acquired a Phono2 a couple of weeks ago, and it's great :dance: still it's nearly Christmas :lol:

Cartridge(s) first though......
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Gromit,

I myself is also using JPW Mini Monitor speakers with an NVA AP10 (PX version) and found it to be a musical combo!!

I'm looking forward to reading your findings on the Grado SR80's performance with the AP10!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:In Italy there is a whole group of enthusiasts using the AP10 with Klipsch.
Man, I wouldn't mind hearing a pair of Klipsch Heresy III with my AP10PX!!

But I still get put of by some of the negative comments on these speakers. I remember a chap nick naming the Heresy as ''Ankle Biters'' meaning they are harsh/bright sounding things!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Not at all, like all good efficient speakers they need a clean amp, as they show up amp deficiencies very easily - so not a bad speaker unless used with a bad amp.