A bit of Black Box fever...

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: A bit of Black Box fever...

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I hope you realise because of this photography assignment you are in a unique position. No one, not even me, has ever had the full range built at any one time to do full comparisons. I have just never had time, I rely on ear memory. So you are now the definitive NVA expert :mrgreen: :D

And I would like to make it publicly clear (as there are bound to be snide remarks) that you can say what ever you want, if you don't like something or some aspect of the design just say so. I am sure you know this but I wanted to make it public.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Ok then...

The mains cables look pants - you could've made them orange... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, the one item that's brought the biggest smile to my face is that little AP10PX - such honest, pure and direct musicality. I'm really pleased with how it drives the Q's too which, knowing how amp-hungry they are, is no mean feat.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its an AP10p the Ap10px was the same but with two sets of inputs and a back panel switch to switch between them. Discontinued as I explained in the other thread. The p stands for personal and the x stood for extra input.

It is designed for 2nd systems like bedroom systems but has taken on a life of its own with its own band of enthusiasts in mains systems with efficient speaker.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I really don't know how good it is but this could be put with it as it is an insanely cheap price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-3-Way- ... 565cae4ef0

Pigsy
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Pigsy »

i dont know if its true but i read that the q-acoustics design team are all ex-mission like the original castle acoustics were ex-wharfedale.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well if Gromit is right, and I trust his judgement, as in the past I have agreed with him about everything. Then these little buggers will be the JPW's of this decade.

I wonder if they have wadding in them :think: :mrgreen:

Pigsy
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Pigsy »

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
I wonder if they have wadding in them :think: :mrgreen:
I've had one of the drivers out of my dad's 2010's and yes there's a bit of the stuff in there. There's also a very chunky cross-brace which goes horizontally across the inside of the box, and the bass driver butts up against it with some gooey bitumen-like material against the magnet. Tighten the drivers' mounting bolts and the whole plot really gets extremely stiff. Exactly the same as the bass driver in a Royd Minstrel does in fact. Give the speaker cab a good tap with your knuckles and it's an very dull 'thunk'.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well from the youtube clip there is minimal wadding, it is not stuffed, which is what I hate. Looks good wiring, but push on clips that over time will oxidise the contacts, hard wiring (soldered) would be better. Decent size magnet on the bass / mid, and paper cone, for that money I am very impressed.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

These are the speakers the Italians are putting with the AP10.

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-floorstanding-speaker

UK price £3000. With a £310 amplifier. :shock: