wood burning stove

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
guydarryl

wood burning stove

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi all,

Having been without electricity for two days has made me consider a wood burning stove.
We have no mains gas, and rely on an oil fired combi boiler for heating/hot water - no electricity, no heating :violin:

Thankfully the weather has been quite mild, but it got me thinking about power cuts in mid winter.
We have no chimney, so does anyone have any thoughts on/experience of having a wood burner and just putting the flue ducting out through an external wall to roof level? Any thoughts/ideas welcomed.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: wood burning stove

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hadn't thought of that - wife raised her eyebrows though :shifty:
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Yomanze
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Yomanze »

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

Unless your interior aesthetic is 'industrial' can't see it fitting in to many sitting rooms, I suppose you'll be able to warm your hands a bit on it, but your toasted marshmallows mights have a slight hydrocarbon taste :shock:
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It sits in the garage / shed with a lead to any 13 amp socket (throw the supply main switch or you will be trying to supply the whole neighbourhood). If all you need it for is to start the boiler and a few light bulbs then you only need a smaller cheaper one.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Running the flu on the outside wall is quite common, you need a double lined flue but your installer suplier will know that. The only downside is that your house can resemble the local takeay. The top of the flue also has to be a cetain height at roof level, have a look here External flu

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It sits in the garage / shed with a lead to any 13 amp socket (throw the supply main switch or you will be trying to supply the whole neighbourhood). If all you need it for is to start the boiler and a few light bulbs then you only need a smaller cheaper one.
A couple of my friends use this set up,but you must go for a diesel genny,cause petrol is a pain in the arse to store,it also goes off slowly unlike diesel.
Quite a bit cheaper than fitting a log burner,i have had three of them.Not so nice to look at but easier to keep running. 8-)
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Agree with Shevans. The height of a flu can be determined by what is around (e.g. if it is sheltered by some nearby structure). typically where these are added to an existing domestic structure they are bricked up. You do need double lined (class 2, if I remember) rather than single lined - which is only for Gas fires. You are best off installing a double lined flue even if you have an existing chimney (especially in older houses) because 1. you can't guarantee the integrity of the chimney and in particular the mid-feathers which separate flues at second story level and 2. you get a more appropriate draft for a woodburner.

Also check local regs on woodburners. Strictcly speaking most of them don't meet regs for emission.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well if its just a wee heat you want Guy...Try a propane gas "Space Heater".
Mmmm Cosey...!!!.jpg
Mmmm Cosey...!!!.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
Seriously though, if its power cuts, you need a (Small) generator. :think: