Digital For Daniel The Dummy

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Digital For Daniel The Dummy

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The children like to listen/dance to music . Dancing , turntables and children do not go . I noticed the other day cd's are ridicously cheap from some outlets and much of my record collection can be duplicated from the 3 for £5 category :lol: -

So I have a laptop and sony xperia phone and I can take the output from both direct to the amp with a headphone jack to phono lead . But in due course I may use a dac to increase quality . So my question is

What free program do I use to rip the cd's for best quality and what format do I rip them in , it is time consuming and I would like to do it once .

Ta .
edit - it just occurred to me , it may be easier /better to by a cd player :doh: , is this correct ? :think:

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Digital For Daniel The Dummy

Unread post by Andrew »

iTunes. Apple lossless.

I just find it simple and it doesn't sound significantly different to CD through the same DAC. I'm hopeless with computer audio and also completely unwilling to mess about with anything complex.

Daniel Quinn

doesn't that require me to buy music from them and use apple hardware ?

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Daniel Quinn wrote:doesn't that require me to buy music from them and use apple hardware ?
Nope.

Whilst this Apple user obviously thinks you would be better off with a Mac, iTunes is available for the PC. There are those that will tell you that there are better rippers than iTunes and it may well be true but as a one stop solution its absolutely fine and Apple Lossless sounds OK to me (or you could leave all the tunes full size if you have the room)

I find the organisation of the music good too although once again, there are those that just like to whinge about anything Apple.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Nope, it's a free download and it just acts as a store/library for ripped CDs. You only pay if you buy music from the Apple store. I find itunes very easy to use and you can even convert to and from lossless without having to copy your CDs again.

I've only bought three downloads from Apple but my computer and two 80gb iPods are full of music copied from my CDs.
I know Apple aren't the most popular here, but if you can use their software for nothing then it's all good :D

By the way, I struggled to see how you could copy stuff to other computers, flash drives etc. A mate who is computer literate showed me. You highlight what you want to copy, then drag and drop! Told you I was a computer numpty!

Daniel Quinn

Thanks a lot chaps , didn't know that will give it a go .

Andrew Im a bigger numpty than you , as a teen in the early 90's I worked as a maintaince man [ boy] in a mail order mill , students didn't pay tax back then on summer jobs , saved up and bought a cd player and was most disappointed even though I had no frame of reference to compare what I was hearing to , I didn't like it .had to do so the same thing all over again a couple of years later to buy my Pink triangle . Ive avoided digital since.
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Quinn

gus3049 wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:doesn't that require me to buy music from them and use apple hardware ?
Nope.

Whilst this Apple user obviously thinks you would be better off with a Mac, iTunes is available for the PC. There are those that will tell you that there are better rippers than iTunes and it may well be true but as a one stop solution its absolutely fine and Apple Lossless sounds OK to me (or you could leave all the tunes full size if you have the room)

I find the organisation of the music good too although once again, there are those that just like to whinge about anything Apple.
I be one of those who whinges about apple :lol: but hey if its free ,

Nevertheless I appreciate your matter of fact advise, it appeals to , It is reminiscent of your mate oldpinkman on AOS who is imho one of the few people currently worth reading on AOS * despite the obvious bias for all things PT . :D

* Notwithstanding Andrew and yourself of course :mrgreen: .

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm not sure if its right to ask, but I'm puzzled as to who oldpinkman is. From the bits I've read, it's clearly not Arthur or Neal (unless I'm losing the plot). I don't know anyone else associated with PT (other than some really pretentious rep I bumped into twice). I only ask because everybody else seems to know who the guy is.

Daniel Quinn

He says he did finance/accounting but that is from my memory of what he's written , I think he mentions it in his intro on AOS .

Hmmm , didn't PT go bankrupt twice ? :lol:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Ive had a few dealings with Arthur in my time. He helped me out with PT spares just a few years ago. Even has some NOS lids! i sold him a Sondek and Ittok that had been in the box from 1988 to 2008. Talk about timewarp condition! He modded them and they were pictured on the Funk website. I really liked him tbh.

I can hear really great elements with PT decks too. I can easily see what many people swear by them. I'll check out oldpinkman's profile. I'm already sure from his writings that he's not that god awful rep!