Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Digital For Daniel The Dummy

Unread post by jammy395 »

Oh Boy -This Digital for Dummy's is complicated...... :doh: :shifty:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Stupinder wrote:Whatever you do ...BACKUP because when your hardrive fails you'll be a bit shouty if you haven't!!!!
thanks for the advise , I particularly liked the bit above , that one for jerry was it ? :lol:

p.s- no need to deny it, i would be happier if it was . :mrgreen:

i will check i tunes and your suggestion .

wee tee cee

Unread post by wee tee cee »

I use I tunes with a cheapo dell laptop. You can down load the player without having to create an account. Mind and rip all your CDs at lossless. Then for me lap top is connected to a MF MK1 v-link via a usb cable. Belkin usb lead about £5 for 5m. then optical or co-ax to your dac. you can couple the v-link or dac to the source with an adaptor if your dac takes usb......bought one for £1.17 as recommended by Tim over at another forum.
Or if you fancy just trying out computer audio berhinger uc 202 ticks most boxes as a usb dac and has a decent headamp to boot ( about 22 quid and sounds very respectable)

Doggo

Unread post by Doggo »

alternatively to having your music on a pc / mac you could have it on a Synology server and use their software to stream / listen to music. It is very good and works on iphone / android. it also permits to stream music at higher bit rates than iTunes AFAIK. It also has a USB direct link if you have it near the DAC.

The control software is called DS Audio and is free.

Of course the server can be used for a host of other things like backup, file storage, etc. Mine has been running virtually for months on end without the slightest failure. It has two redundant hard drives which makes it much safer than a single hard drive in a pc / mac. Great product IMO.

more here http://www.synology.com/dsm/home_home_a ... p?lang=enu

2 bay server : http://www.synology.com/products/produc ... B&lang=enu

ps: i don't work for them... just very enthusiastic about their servers ;-)
Last edited by Doggo on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

wee tee cee wrote:I use I tunes with a cheapo dell laptop. You can down load the player without having to create an account. Mind and rip all your CDs at lossless. Then for me lap top is connected to a MF MK1 v-link via a usb cable. Belkin usb lead about £5 for 5m. then optical or co-ax to your dac. you can couple the v-link or dac to the source with an adaptor if your dac takes usb......bought one for £1.17 as recommended by Tim over at another forum.
Or if you fancy just trying out computer audio berhinger uc 202 ticks most boxes as a usb dac and has a decent headamp to boot ( about 22 quid and sounds very respectable)[/quote
wee tee cee wrote:I use I tunes with a cheapo dell laptop. You can down load the player without having to create an account. Mind and rip all your CDs at lossless. Then for me lap top is connected to a MF MK1 v-link via a usb cable. Belkin usb lead about £5 for 5m. then optical or co-ax to your dac. you can couple the v-link or dac to the source with an adaptor if your dac takes usb......bought one for £1.17 as recommended by Tim over at another forum.
Or if you fancy just trying out computer audio berhinger uc 202 ticks most boxes as a usb dac and has a decent headamp to boot ( about 22 quid and sounds very respectable)
Quite agree. I run iTunes on the Mac with USB out the the little Berhinger. That feeds an old Rogers Ravensbrook and KEF/Celestion hibrid speakers. Sounds great. Run into the main system (Valve OTL - sorry Richard - and Quad 57s) is sounds fine, not up to vinyl but gives CD a good run for its money.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

C'mon Danny,just buy a Sqeezebox Classic,plug into your amp,10,000 radio stations to choose as your favourites,if that don't work leave home under cover of darkness... :think: :pray:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

gus3049 wrote: Sounds great. Run into the main system (Valve OTL - sorry Richard - and Quad 57s) is sounds fine, not up to vinyl but gives CD a good run for its money.
Why apologise, I love Quad 57's the original NVA circuit was designed with a modified version of them as reference speakers. As for OTL they are the only valve amps I would contemplate owning as output transformers are just a big bloody filter on the output of the amp. Though I still think they are inherently potentially dangerous so I wouldn't make them to sell.

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
gus3049 wrote: Sounds great. Run into the main system (Valve OTL - sorry Richard - and Quad 57s) is sounds fine, not up to vinyl but gives CD a good run for its money.
Why apologise, I love Quad 57's the original NVA circuit was designed with a modified version of them as reference speakers. As for OTL they are the only valve amps I would contemplate owning as output transformers are just a big bloody filter on the output of the amp. Though I still think they are inherently potentially dangerous so I wouldn't make them to sell.
Ah, that's all right then. I though NVA meant No Valves Allowed :lol:

It was fun comparing the Leak Stereo 20 with the OTL. I have always liked the Leak. Its what I've used in my main system for 25 years. When the OTL was plugged in, it just cleaned up the whole sound and extended the bass a lot further. In my room, the Quads really don't lack for bass at all, very tuneful and fine with the guitar and small ensemble music I tend to listen to. If I need a real bass session, I head upstairs to system No5. The speakers would probably have your approval. White van man speakers converted into proper stuff. 12" bass unit connected direct, Celestion HF1300 and KEF T27 with capacitors (4000htz and 14000htz - ish) . Cabinet strutted to death (no metal as yet!!) and no wadding. Sound fine to me. Not about to replace the Quads but as the wife says, "quite listenable"

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

wallace wrote:C'mon Danny,just buy a Sqeezebox Classic,plug into your amp,10,000 radio stations to choose as your favourites,if that don't work leave home under cover of darkness... :think: :pray:
10,000 Radio station's :think: The Squeezebox must have a very large Tuning Dial. :shifty:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

What is this tuning dial thing,must be an old luddite appliance ,you'll be looking for a spinning jenny next. :mrgreen: :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1