Naim again.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Naim again.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Anyone have 30k to waste?. Here ya go :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-Naim ... 0896862%26

S.
Shane Lonergan.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naim again.

Unread post by jammy395 »

An absolute fukin Rip-Off - Very tidy set up though......... :whistle:

30 Grand eh........... :think: ............. :laughing-rolling:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I'd love to know how much it costs to manufacture that setup. Certainly nothing like the £47k quoted as its retail price. The older stuff was far better built at a fraction of the cost.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Andrew wrote:I'd love to know how much it costs to manufacture that setup. Certainly nothing like the £47k quoted as its retail price. The older stuff was far better built at a fraction of the cost.
The parts most probably cost pennies :lol: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well lets work it out, Naim give about 35% mark up for the retailer (plus a bit more for early settlement and big orders), so £4.7k x 3.5 = £16.45k which is the dealers slurp :roll:

Naim mark up 10 times against component costs so £47k less dealer slurp = £31.55k, divide by 10 = £3.155K is about the component cost. By far biggest cost is cases and transformers. Transistors resistors and other bits are pence at the size of orders they place.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Hasn't even got a record player!! :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Wow the dealers certainly like their Slurp eh...!!!
Sooner theyre gone the better - Greedy monkey's the lot o them... :obscene-moneypiss:
It's a shame there is so many gullible (rich) punters still out there. :think:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well lets work it out, Naim give about 35% mark up for the retailer (plus a bit more for early settlement and big orders), so £4.7k x 3.5 = £16.45k which is the dealers slurp :roll:

Naim mark up 10 times against component costs so £47k less dealer slurp = £31.55k, divide by 10 = £3.155K is about the component cost. By far biggest cost is cases and transformers. Transistors resistors and other bits are pence at the size of orders they place.
That's far worse than even I imagined. There comes a point (long, long way short of 47k) where I'd feel ashamed to spend that much. There are far too many good causes desperately needing support for me to sleep at night if I indulged to that degree. Mind you, with that sort of mark up, buying new is like a charitable donation, except to thoroughly undeserving causes.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I think most of us reading this could put together a system costing less than £1k that would have a good chance of sounding better than this £30k to £47k system. I don't think there's anything particularly special about those Spendor A9 speakers.

Also seems a strange way to distribute the budget: £43k on digital source and amps, £4k on speakers. And the power amps aren't even Naims top of the range! This Naim Collecting lark is an expensive business.

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

Andrew wrote:There comes a point (long, long way short of 47k) where I'd feel ashamed to spend that much.
+1!!!

PS what's happened to LindsayTs avatar? All I see is a small ?. is that what it's supposed to be or has it gone missing?
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.