AP80 stepped attenuator?

All things NVA
Ed345
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AP80 stepped attenuator?

Unread post by Ed345 »

There's an unlabelled input/output at the back of my AP80 above the source inputs. Is this a direct input? A volume controlled output? What's more likely?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It could be either, it is obviously a add-on the customer asked for. Can you contact him.

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

No; it was sold to me by a guy who turned out to be selling the hifi of his wife's cousin who had recently died.

Would it be anything else except a direct input or volume controlled output?

Am I right in thinking those two are the same but before and after the volume control?

If I connect a low level source (I can turn down the analogue output of my cd player by 20db) a direct input should behave normally, and an output would play loudly independent of the volume control? Or is this a stupid idea?!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It will be an out not an in. It could be a volume controlled out for second power amp for bi-amping or a direct out for a headphone amp.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

That's a relief to hear.I doubt that an NVA valve amp would take to kindly to being left powered up for three years,like my AP70 has. :angry-fire: :angry-extinguishflame: :icon-mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It will be an out not an in. It could be a volume controlled out for second power amp for bi-amping or a direct out for a headphone amp.
Took the plunge and connected it up to an input of my AP70. It's volume controlled, so I'm now running the AP70 on bass driver duty and the AP80 on mid and tweeter.

Now to work out whether biamp with LS1 and LS5 sounds better than single amp with LS5...

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

wallace wrote:That's a relief to hear.I doubt that an NVA valve amp would take to kindly to being left powered up for three years,like my AP70 has. :angry-fire: :angry-extinguishflame: :icon-mrgreen:
Thats what I don't like about valves, you have to plan when your going to listen to your hifi, switch them on an hour or so before to warm the thing up, this frustrates me as I'm from the school of always leaving your hifi on.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ed345 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It will be an out not an in. It could be a volume controlled out for second power amp for bi-amping or a direct out for a headphone amp.
Took the plunge and connected it up to an input of my AP70. It's volume controlled, so I'm now running the AP70 on bass driver duty and the AP80 on mid and tweeter.

Now to work out whether biamp with LS1 and LS5 sounds better than single amp with LS5...
Good solution plus you have a tone control as you have separate VC over the tweeter.