What makes for a good soundstage?

All general audio posts go here.
walterwhite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Wales

What makes for a good soundstage?

Unread post by walterwhite »

Hi. I'm new here, so I thought It was time I introduced myself. Been lurking for a couple of weeks, and like the ethos of the forum. Seems like a lot of sense is talked. Shame it's a bit underpopulated at the moment.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what people think makes for a good sound stage/stereo image in a sound system.

The reason I ask is that with my present system, basically a Cyrus 6se cdp, Audiolab 8000C/P pre-power and Spendor A5's, I don't seem to be hearing as good a sound stage as with my old system. That consisted (with a bit of box swapping here and there) of the same amps and cabling (van den hul 'The Clearwater') but with a Cyrus dad7 + PSXR and a pair of Monitor Audio R352's (early 80's).

I regret to say that I gave the old MA's away to a good friend, mainly because they were so big and ugly TBH, and thought I couldn't do worse by buying some newer kit. Now however, I'm not so sure.

The main problem with the Spendors for me is that an awful lot of the sound seems to come directly from the speakers whereas, in the old system, music positively radiated from the walls if you get my drift. Every instrument had it's place, and once introduced would stay put. You could close your eyes and almost forget you were listening to a pair of speakers. I really miss that. Another good point with them was that you could listen to them at really low levels and lose none of these qualities. Again, not so with the Spendors.

Maybe it's due to a lack of a dedicated external power supply with new cdp? I have to say that I prefer the tonal attributes of the newer cdp - almost vinyl like in my opinion, although yesterday, listening to a some opera, when either the sopranos or baritones were giving it some welly, I heard some clipping in the mids and trebles. A definite harsh edge on the voices, but only on the loudest of fortissimo passages. I was playing the music at a reasonably loud level, but nothing that could be described as silly. Very unsettling as I'm bloody sure that never happened in the old system.

Also, I've got my eyes on a pair of cheap Monitor Audio 1200 Gold reference speakers (circa 1989 I believe) at the moment.

Anyone got any opinions on these? A possible cause for concern for me is that they have metal dome tweeters, whereas the older R352's were a soft dome, and I really don't like any harshness in my sounds.

Any opinions welcome.

Regards - John.
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: What makes for a good soundstage?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Speakers designed to create a soundstage, more than anything else. But system synergy also contribute massively.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi Walter,

Welcome.
I would be careful about getting in to a (never ending?) cycle of improving power supplies etc. As your old system gave you the sound stage that you loved, and your general description of the sound that you miss, I think that the speakers are the item you miss.
Was it just the looks/size of your old speakers that made you get rid of them?

Make sure that you listen to speakers before you buy, initially impressive can be a pain on extended listening.

All the best. Guy
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

walterwhite
Wales

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Speakers designed to create a soundstage, more than anything else. But system synergy also contribute massively.
Yeah,I think I agree with the speaker diagnosis, which makes you wonder why such a highly regarded speaker as the Spendor would have such a poor soundstage. Maybe other people don't give it such a high priority as I do?

I'm thinking, given how cheaply these wonderful old speakers can be picked up for now (R352's £30 to £50 on Fleabay), I might just go and buy a shed load of different makes and models and try them all out. Shouldn't be any problem getting my money back on the ones I don't like, and I can probably end up in profit on the whole thing if I recoup a fair proportion of what I spent on the Spendors while they're still flavour of the month.

Anyone got any suggestions for speakers with excellent stereo imaging as well, of course, as nice sonic capabilities?
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

walterwhite
Wales

guy wrote:Was it just the looks/size of your old speakers that made you get rid of them?
Yes, I'm ashamed to say it was - butt ugly. :(
guy wrote:I would be careful about getting in to a (never ending?) cycle of improving power supplies etc.
Only too aware of that thanks, trying to do some back peddling now to avoid financial loss on my poor speaker choice. Sounded great in the shop. To be fair, the Spendors have what I want in sound quality in bucket loads, but I can't get around the ever present feeling that I'm listening to music coming from three points in space. Left, right and centre. Didn't pick up on it in the listening room of the dealer. :doh: Seriously, the MA 352's were like an auditorium compared to the Spendors.

Regards - John

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

walterwhite wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Speakers designed to create a soundstage, more than anything else. But system synergy also contribute massively.
Yeah,I think I agree with the speaker diagnosis, which makes you wonder why such a highly regarded speaker as the Spendor would have such a poor soundstage. Maybe other people don't give it such a high priority as I do?

I'm thinking, given how cheaply these wonderful old speakers can be picked up for now (R352's £30 to £50 on Fleabay), I might just go and buy a shed load of different makes and models and try them all out. Shouldn't be any problem getting my money back on the ones I don't like, and I can probably end up in profit on the whole thing if I recoup a fair proportion of what I spent on the Spendors while they're still flavour of the month.

Anyone got any suggestions for speakers with excellent stereo imaging as well, of course, as nice sonic capabilities?
Spendors, highly regarded by whom, definitely not by me. I wouldn't own them if you paid me.

Well seeing as soundstage / image definition is one of my most important design considerations, then I can do no more than recommend NVA Cubes or Cubix. Look at threads in NVA room.

walterwhite
Wales

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Spendors, highly regarded by whom, definitely not by me. I wouldn't own them if you paid me.
Well, while they do have their detractors, very few people seem to have a bad word to say about them. Going on current experience though, I'm leaning towards the the views of the minority now. Not living up to the hype IMHO.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Good system synergy & good loudspeakers.

:dance:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The problem is BBC design principles, far too complex crossovers, overdamped cabinets. Result flat boring speakers with no out of box experience.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Trying some different speakers is a great idea. As well as gaining better soundstaging there's a good chance you'll also get better clarity, dynamics. Possibly tighter more extended more impactful bass too.