All music posts here please.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CLASSICAL...Recomendations.

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi folks,
Trying to get into some classical music at the momment..... :think:
Got a classical greatest hits compilation type c.d. off Amazon....It's ok........... 8-)
But as Grommit suggested - if anyone can recomend any quality classical compositions, then please go ahead and post here. :dance:
Cheer's Jammy. :violin:

Gromit

Re: CLASSICAL...Recomendations.

Unread post by Gromit »

Jammy - what sort of 'classical' music would you like to delve into? If you like the big film scores (which there are many superb ones I admit) then much of what you're hearing has been 'pinched' (not always in a bad way) from large-scale orchestral works of yore.

Of course there are many compositions which could be included in a 'My first Classical collection' list, but I sometimes think that delving into certain genres can be a good introduction. It's a bit like listening to mainly heavy rock music, for example, then after a while having a dabble with other stuff ie Prog, jazz, fusion etc etc. Call it a broadening of taste over time. :)

If you like large-scale film scores (Williams/Goldsmith etc) then you may like to have a listen to these:

Vaughan Williams- Symphonies No's 4 & 6. Good recordings are LSO/Hickox (Chandos) or LPO/Haitink (Decca).
Rachmaninov - *Isle of the Dead/Symphonic Dances. Concertgebouw/Ashkenazy (Decca)
Britten - *Sinfonia Da Requiem/Four Sea Interludes. LSO/Bedford (Naxos)
**Shostakovich Symphony No.11 LPO/Haitink (Decca)

*Very dark, real goosebump material. The Britten has some awesome moments, especially the opening of the Sinfonia. 4 Sea Interludes are very atmospheric, especially 'Morning'. :)

*Isle of the Dead was written after Rachmaninov saw Arnold Bocking's famous painting of Charon ferrying the dead across the River Styx to their final resting place. The 5 beat time signature mimics the rocking of the boat on the waves, and puts the listener in the position of riding in the boat. Wonderfully dark stuff that's always exciting to listen to. The Symphonic Dances is a superb pairing, being of similar scale but much more up-beat in mood.

**This can be hard work but stick with it - if you're familiar with the film 'Dune' you'll immediately realise where the film score got much of its material from when hearing the first movement of the symphony. It's a long symphony, perhaps best to listen to it one movement at a time (as I usually do if I'm honest). Movements 3&4 are segue though.

The Vaughan Williams Symphonies are absolute gems and only now, after all these years, is the world truly waking up to what a brilliant symphonic composer RVW was. Each of his symphonies has a different flavour, but 4 & 6 are probably most closely related in terms of style & scale. Jerry Goldsmith openly admits to pinching some of the 4th Symphony for his soundtrack to Star Trek II - he reckoned it was 'too good not to'. :)

All of the above can be found on Spotify (if you have an account) and I think all these recordings are on there, for a taster.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I'll give you three, although I could probably give you three hundred if pressed. :lol:

#1 - Mahler Symphony Number 5. I'm a huge Mahler fan and this is a good introduction to his work. Bernstein or Barbirolli would be my choice as conductor, but I like the Simon Rattle version too. The Rudolf Barshai version is very highly rated, but I haven't heard it myself.

#2 - Elgar's Cello Concerto. A beautiful piece of music, by a great British composer. I favour the Daniel Barenboim/Jaqueline Du Pre reading which also includes The Enigma Variations on the same disc.

#3 - Gorecki - Symphony Number 3. A bit of an outsider this one, in that it's quite modern. Give it a listen on YouTube first and if you like it go for the David Zinman/Dawn Upshaw version, although the budget release on the Naxos label is also pretty good.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395

Many thanks Grommit / Slinger.
You lads it would seem, are right into yer classical.
Will check out yer recomendations, ta.
jammy :clap: :violin: :clap:

jammy395

Cheers Figlet I will source this beastie out, give it a blast and get back to you a.s.a.p.
:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:
Is it anything like the William tell overture....... :lol:

jammy395

Cheers Figlet - Bruch's Scottish fantasy is indeed superb.....he sure can play the :violin:
A lovely piece of music.
Also tryed Horowitz play's motzarts piano concerto 23.....and boy he can play the piano (couldnt find a smilie)
A lovely piece of music also.
The amount of classical is quite staggering.
jammy.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

A few more for you Monsieur Jammy...

A pianoforte tour de force which no collection should be without...

Rachmaninov: Preludes Opus 23 & 32 (Ashkenazy - Decca). Op 23 is usually packaged with the C Sharp Minor Prelude. I've been practising a few of these recently so they're very close to my heart. Bloody hard though, can't even get near the last one (Op 32 in D Flat).

Ashkenazy, with Andre Previn, also did a fabulous recording of Rach's works for 2 pianos, notably the Symphonic Dances and the 2 Suites for 2 pianos.

Mozart: Serenade No.10 for 13 Wind Instruments 'Gran Partita'. If you've seen the film 'Amadeus' you'll recognise much of this - the slow movement is sublime. Quite possibly the finest work for wind ensemble ever written.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Gromit wrote:Ashkenazy, with Andre Previn, also did a fabulous recording of Rach's works for 2 pianos, notably the Symphonic Dances and the 2 Suites for 2 pianos
My favourite Rachmaninov piece by a country mile - possibly my favourite piece of music ever...
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Theo wrote:
My favourite Rachmaninov piece by a country mile - possibly my favourite piece of music ever...
They are beautiful indeed - the Barcarolle especially so. I'll often go for days with these being the only music I have on in the house.

Peter Donohoe, paired with Martin Roscoe, has also done a superb recording of these on Naxos. Arguably a better sound than the older Ashkenazy/Previn pairing (no mastertape hiss which is nice!) and whilst not as 'Russian' sounding, being less romantic and more matter-of-fact it's still totally wonderful and in some ways I actually prefer it to the Ash/Previn.

jammy395

Ok whilst not maybe classical in the true sense....dug this old CD out, and it's pretty good, you cant listen without conjuring up images of the film.
_A_Fistful_Of_Dollars.jpg
_A_Fistful_Of_Dollars.jpg (33.23 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
Well done - Ennio Morricone.............. :violin: :dance: :clap:

Its the Good the Bad and the Ugly next...... :lol: