Royd Minstrel Problem

All things NVA
Ninanina
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Royd Minstrel Problem

Unread post by Ninanina »

As some may know i have NVA used with a lovely set of Royd Minstrels but after coming back off a short holiday one of them has developed a fault :cry:

I'm guessing this could be the 'rubbing' that I believe i have heard some mention of

Can anyone tell me how i can check and/or fix this?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Bev :mrgreen:

familyguy

Re: Royd Minstrel Problem

Unread post by familyguy »

Is the centre of the speaker gummed up with black tarry material This is a common fault with these speakers,

Ninanina

Hi familyguy

Sorry to sound dense but can this be seen without taking the driver out of the cabinet?

familyguy

No you don't have to do that . The tarry stuff which Royd coated the speaker with runs down and on to the centre stopping it from sliding back and forward. Can be clearly seen from the front.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If the driver is gummed up then it wont move easily. The easiest way to deal with it is get some Isopropyl alchohol and cotton buds, wiggle these in the gap gently until the driver is released.

Ninanina

I've had the front grill off both now and the one with the fault definitely has some of the black tarry stuff on the center metal piece and is not moving as freely as the other. The gap between the driver and this metal piece is tiny. Is it ok to deflect the driver inwards and clean off the black stuff from the center metal piece?

Thanks for all the help guys :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

All you need to do is melt it a bit in the gap between voice coil (cone) and magnet pole with the Isopropyl while pushing the cone in until it moves freely on its own.

familyguy

That's certainly the problem. This is a very common problem with these speakers .The Doc's advice is correct . Gently mind :D

Ninanina

Servisol seem to do Isopropyl alcohol, called IPA 170, Maplin stock it so i'll get some tomorrow and try to do it tomorrow evening

Thanks for the help guys :mrgreen:

familyguy

Ninanina wrote:Servisol seem to do Isopropyl alcohol, called IPA 170, Maplin stock it so i'll get some tomorrow and try to do it tomorrow evening

Thanks for the help guys :mrgreen:
Remember and spray the alcohol on to the cotton buds and not the speaker :roll: