Has thanked: 0

Re: System Pictures....

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

How many owners have died since they were made :character-oldtimer:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Lindsayt wrote:The last pair of speakers I bought were on sale because the original owner died of old age.
If they were OBs the original owner could've been buried in one of them. :mrgreen:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Sovereign
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Sovereign »

Well I have had 30 minutes to mess around with speaker placement and I have been moving around.
The upshot is I have never ever heard anything like this. From top to bottom they are quite phenomenal!
The sound presentation is large and life size, I have never understood why people buy standmount speakers, the sound picture is so small and that just isn't what live music presents you. The sound is extremely spacious and full bodied and solid at the same time, the sound is full of texture and very detailed. Most speakers I have heard that give a presentation of this scale can be little slow and plody, because these speakers are so efficient they start and stop in an instant. I am very impressed indeed.
There is more tweaking needed regarding positioning to go but if there was no more to wring out of these speakers I would be MORE than content.Image

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So much for the prat who said they only work with valve amps and crossover distortion would kill them. :teasing-knob:

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:So much for the prat who said they only work with valve amps and crossover distortion would kill them. :teasing-knob:
That's exactly what I thought, and I was waiting for it but all sounds very fine to me.

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

Sovereign your experience with the OBs was more or less my experience when I heard Alis' ,although he was using valve amps .Loved them .

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Valves were only from 200Hz up. A Bantam Gold was on bass duties. In fact at the moment I am using two Golds, so valves are only in the pre and the dac! :D

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

I'm wholly convinced by OB speakers. I love the presentation, visceral impact, scale and soundstaging of my Jamo R909s. They make me dance and sing loudly (which ain't pretty). I found mine to be fairly tolerant of positioning, but they do prefer to be around a metre away from boundaries if possible.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Excellent Sovereign. Nice result. Especially considering the price you paid.

I know what you mean about the presentation of small speakers. With many of them it sounds like you're listening to a band who are playing in the road outside your house and you've got a couple of letterboxes open - which are the speakers - letting the sound through. With speakers with more authority it sounds like the front wall of the house has been knocked down and you're listening to them direct.

With rock and pop music on your OB's Sovereign, does it sound like the kick drums are where they should be, on the floor, but that the bass guitarist has got his guitar very low slung?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Theo wrote:I'm wholly convinced by OB speakers. I love the presentation, visceral impact, scale and soundstaging of my Jamo R909s. They make me dance and sing loudly (which ain't pretty). I found mine to be fairly tolerant of positioning, but they do prefer to be around a metre away from boundaries if possible.
I was about to do my usual "know it all" post of don't be daft Jamo are boxed speakers, but luckily I looked them up on the web :shock: I hadn't realised they were OBs, they look a bit special.