Bridging NVA amps

All things NVA
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bridging NVA amps

Unread post by Sovereign »

Dr.. What are you thoughts on bridging NVA amps, would it bring any benefit or degrade the sound :?:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Bridging NVA amps

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Fine if you want to fry your amp and maybe your speakers.

I have enough problems with that idiot on chews without you starting as well.

Do you really understand what a bridged amp is, because most of the forum waffle I have seen is pure nonsense.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Vaugely remember bridging some rotels years ago....
cant say the sound improved much, but the heat generated certainly did...!!!
yep there is a few different ideas as to what bridging entails on the web, ?
Doc if you could shed some light - much apprieciated.
jammy395.

:?

Sovereign

The suggestion that I may be an idiot was not quite the response I was looking for.
My knowledge of amps is limited, I am on forums because I enjoy asking questions on topics that interest me and value peoples input which I in turn am able to learn from. If you are able to shed some light I would appreciate it.

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

I have no experience bridging NVA amps, but I did do it with 2 x Exposure Dual 4. Differences wer suble, and not necessarily for the better. Hovever, two Mono 16s were far better in better defining music structure than bridged 4s. IMHO, buying better amps is the more satidfying route. The fact that I run 4 Mono 16s in bi-amp is just my particular madness :)
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Never tried bridging amps. I would have thought that logically the best route to go would be to buy a more powerful amp if you wanted to deliver more current the speakers but how would you know if the speakers really needed more current?

Anyway, this is something that I'd be well content to leave to amp designers and off my tweaking list.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sorry I am just sensitive about people messing with my amps and not following advice, and I end up having to repair them. To put it bluntly it pisses me off.

I really don't have time to explain the ins and outs of bridging or paralleling amps. They are practices used in the pro industry for PA systems and for car audio. They are unnecessarily harmful to the music (by making an amp able to be bridged) and daft for hi-fi. For PA it is all to do with how the PA rig speakers are wired and the final load, in car audio it is because you only have a rail of 13.5 volts to play with.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT OR ANYTHING ELSE WITH NVA AMPS. JUST LEAVE AS IS AND LISTEN TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to read about it then Google is your friend like here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridged_an ... amplifiers

Sovereign

Thanks all, especially Richard.
I don't plan to do anything with my amps except buy more NVA I was just wondering.