Introduce Yourselves

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
guydarryl

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi Frank,
nice selection of music (system doesn't ring any bells, although I have heard of Sennheiser). What is the defender?

welcome. Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Welcome Frank, I had to google Whitebird Virtus 01 amp having never heard of it. Looks very nice. http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-294&lang=en

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Hi Frank,

Welcome. Your CD player is a modifiers wet dream. Loads of stuff on the tinternet regarding what can be done to it if you are that way inclined.

Hope you have fun here, i do. :dance:

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

FrankDee

Unread post by FrankDee »

Thanks all for the warm welcome

guy wrote:Hi Frank,
nice selection of music (system doesn't ring any bells, although I have heard of Sennheiser). What is the defender?

welcome. Guy.
In layman terms from I understand it break the 5v in the USB connection from the PC to DAC and cleans it up. Have read a few comments on it, some say it works, some say it doesn't and then there are others who have not tried and said it will not work.

I took the gamble and it seemed to have cleaned up my 0 and 1 's, has tighten the bass up a bit, and added a tad more detail.

More detailHere

Cheers Frank

FrankDee

Unread post by FrankDee »

antonio66 wrote:Welcome Frank, I had to google Whitebird Virtus 01 amp having never heard of it. Looks very nice. http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-294&lang=en
Very happy with it, weights a bit as well. May be asking about tube rolling soon, as I have no idea about valves. At the moment have a pair of very old KT66 Osram in it

karatestu wrote:Hi Frank,

Welcome. Your CD player is a modifiers wet dream. Loads of stuff on the tinternet regarding what can be done to it if you are that way inclined.

Hope you have fun here, i do. :dance:

Stu
Not really into modding myself, may have a look, was looking at replacing it this year.

Cheers Frank

chartz.fr

Unread post by chartz.fr »

Hi everyone,

My name is Jacques and I live in Burgundy.

I have always been a hi-fi nut. It all started in 1972 or so with my dad's hi-fi. Well it was not especially hi-fi but hey he had a nice Dual deck!
I bought my first equipment circa 1981, a Dual CS505, a Shure V15IV, an NAD 3020 and a pair of AR38 speakers. I had to work hard for that!
Anyway, here I am 36 years later with my Ditton 66 and OTA QUAD ESL 57 speakers, and a lot of stuff, among which tons of vintage B&O, and first gen CD players.

I always buy broken (otherwise I get bored, what's the point buying things that work?) and I fix things myself because I have electronic knowledge.

I have always looked at Linn/Naim stuff with lots of laughter - we weren't that much infected this side of the channel, the shops selling the stuff all went bankrupt - and I am a cable and fancy op-amp sceptic. I do own valve gear though!

I've been a Hi-Fi World subscriber for 26 years. Apart from their cable testing rubbish, a nice monthly read.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I can prove to you cables sound different and some are better than others.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

I have to agree with the Doc. I'm running in a set of TIS and they are different to any other cable I've used. I'll maybe post a review soon - although what use it would be I don't know as TIS (Mk1) is on the way out.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

chartz.fr

Unread post by chartz.fr »

Would the '57s be able to show any differences ? So far everything I've tested sounds the same.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes. The original NVA cables back in the early 80s were selected (you can't say designed) when 57s were my reference speakers. Around 1985 I went through just about all the *RG cables available and I could hear differences with all of them.

*RG = USA military spec