AoS

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: AoS

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:28 pm

I read somewhere you *may* get a better, less drop-out/pixillated picture in very long HDMI runs of several metres or so if you buy a better/posher HDMi cable. A load were tested some years back (around the time when Malcolm Steward was taken in by it all) and it seems there's a definite 'window of acceptance' in these digital specs. A very long HDMI cable takes it to the limit apparently and a better cable just might enable the digital signal to better fit the 'window' allowed by the receiver. In short lengths of a very few metres, no difference at all was observed I recall.

i have to say with no experience that at the speeds a hard drive operates at, I'd be very surprised if any difference could be 'heard' at all as the signal is very high speed digital and a lot of other computer gubbins is in the way long before it's sent out of whatever it is (Marco level should be a Melco storage streamer at least and I believe this maker provides proof of what they say - I think... ;))

TroutFisher
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:38 pm

Alfer, you have been here for a long time, seriously attacking Marco in anyway you can. Why? What is the history that causes you to attack him repeatedly this way?

Did you have a bad personal experience with him?

Your history on this will, I have no doubt, put many readers properly in the picture.

Let us know.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:10 am

All who post in this thread had bad personal experiences with him, Alfer can explain or not, there are no demands on this forum apart from follow the rules. You have just broken one. Alfer is not part of the subject of this thread he is a poster so addressing him personally is ad hominem, do not do this, play the ball not the man. I will let you off this time as you are new but the fact that you are straight in there means you have an agenda, so the same could be asked of you - but we don't.

If you want to do this then do it by PM to Alfer. I am sure if Alfer had wanted to give this information he would have given it by now, many have including me, but it is not *required*.

keepitsimplestupid
Great Britain

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 am

HDMI cables are all built to certification specs. There are different qualities/speeds and a certified cable is guaranteed to hit these targets error free. Lots of HDMI badged cables aren't certified. Lots of those cables will hit spec at certain lengths but not as they get longer and longer. It's all about noise ingress and signal reflections. No audio data rates come anywhere near 4k DV.

4k |DV at 60hz refresh, 12 bits colour depth and 4:2:0 chroma sampling is 13.36gbps, the same at 4:4:4 chroma sampling is 26.7gbps

Cd is 1000x less than this, so there should be no trouble with 4k certed HDMI cable handling this, even boggo 1080p rated HDMI cable is 100 times more capable than required.

Add a little buffer at the receive end, a couple of Mb will do and you have all the buffer you need for lost packets on even the longest album.

alfer
Great Britain

Unread post by alfer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:25 am

TroutFisher wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:38 pm
Alfer, you have been here for a long time, seriously attacking Marco in anyway you can. Why? What is the history that causes you to attack him repeatedly this way?

Did you have a bad personal experience with him?

Your history on this will, I have no doubt, put many readers properly in the picture.

Let us know.
Welcome to HFS we await your contributions with interest.

What made you join on 26th having apparently observed the forum for some time?

What do you think about the AoS owner? Is he a force for good :guiness; :epopc:

TroutFisher
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Well, I can’t see how I have broken the Ad Hominen rule. I’ve not been offensive to anyone. All I did was ask a question. The topic being Marco, and my desired response was something from Alfer in explaination of why he constantly writes here always challenging AOS and Marco in particular. Alfer makes absolutely no contribution to anything other on your forum. For all we know, he may not even own a hi-if system. It’s no big deal, but I just wondered why he was so fixated on slamming Marco and AOS. In my view the whole thing is kind of unimportant.

It seems to me Marco must have done something bad and significant that has spoiled Alfer’s life. That is bad. Surely it would be good to know what that actually is. We can all then read posts with an understanding of the context.

TroutFisher
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 pm

ADMIN EDIT - ad hominem so removed - first strike applied.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 pm

It is not our fault you don't understand the rules, all you need to do is look (Google is your friend) it has nothing to do with insult apart from that is the way it usually manifests itself. You broke the rule by discussion of the person who said it, not what he said. I even gave you a big clue "play the ball not the man", but you seem to have ignored it.

Keep repeating the question as you have just done and you break another rule - repetition. Not doing well are we? this normally happens when people come here with an agenda.

Patience runs out, you now have a strike, three strikes and you are out.

Alfer's context is none of your business, look to your own.

alfer
Great Britain

Unread post by alfer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:16 am

ballbag sarnies
and arse-gravy
down pan
but stubbornly
taken from the two words thread. I wonder if any new members see material worthy of a Nobel prize for their author

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:18 am

The poetry of a sub human !