AoS

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
alfer
Great Britain

Re: AoS

Unread post by alfer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:45 am

Or his thing for leather jackets

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 am

I wonder if they would let you attend Savvy.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am

Bigboy is selling his Phono 2. You know the one that wasn't allowed to go to the Stoke NVA Phono Stage Bake-Off with no NVA allowed. Bad decision, he should trade it in here for a Phono 3 and BBPSU, that is now way ahead of the 2 in musical ability as production is finalised, and still less price than Fireybum's Vivant. Even a 2 with the BBPSU would shock him. BUT he doesn't like us anymore :angry-cussingargument:

:crying-yellow:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 am
I wonder if they would let you attend Savvy.
I'd be happy to help organise one...
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:45 am

Contact Proggy and see if you can do a joint venture or even take it over if he no longer wants to do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am

Another thought - making it a HFS based event will obviously get all the knob heads chuntering. I am sure Westie would love it to be organised there, you have Macca and Bigboy then :mrgreen:

For me I am happy as long as it has no product or person blocks and censorship involved in it. I would probably not attend as too far. It has been part of my fun for years pretending I am going to turn up.

scotty38
Great Britain

Unread post by scotty38 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:36 pm

The unmodified, modified EAR has now been modified.....

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:38 pm

The Trump Blimp - going to be hanging over London for his trip. When they are finished with it can we try to borrow it, take off the yellow hair and glue a pair of the largest dogs bollocks we can find on the chin and fly it over Wrexham. :lol: :lol:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am
Another thought - making it a HFS based event will obviously get all the knob heads chuntering. I am sure Westie would love it to be organised there, you have Macca and Bigboy then :mrgreen:
It would be good to have a cooperative across different forums - I'm a hopeless optimist.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am
For me I am happy as long as it has no product or person blocks and censorship involved in it. I would probably not attend as too far. It has been part of my fun for years pretending I am going to turn up.
I wouldn't be involved in a 'public' bake-off that bans anyone due to forum politics.
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Today, 22:09 #318 Macca
Drunken Moderator

The scoring was only done out of casual interest. You can't really score hi-fi, All of them sounded very good, no obvious flaws anywhere. I think what people preferred came down mainly to taste in presentation rather than actual quality, although the more expensive stages did have a bit more to them it wasn't devastating advantage. I thought the Russell and the AQvox were clearly the best, I was in a minority (possibly of one) so there is little consistency once preference comes into it.

In my view if you want a definitive answer to what's 'The Best' you go on the measurements because they are definable and independent of subjective taste. But we all know we could buy the best measuring phono stage in the world and after a while decide we don't actually like it that much.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well this in my opinion is the defining post as to the quality and value of that bake-off. At Uddersfield even small changes in power supplies were easily audible even with the same make unit, opinions were clear, difference were easily heard and confidently commented on, all very much in agreement amoungst the independent attendees and the *honest* trade who were present. The other trade later became honest and agreed with the rest.

All this proves is the venue and / or the system at Stoke was crap.

I have built two stages today a P2 and a P3 for loans and to hear them burn in was quite clear and obvious. Also the differences between 1 x PSU, 2 x PSU, and 1 x BBPSU was as clear as a summer day. So if you can't hear the differences between different manufactures you were either all deaf or with damaged hearing and brains (unlikely) or *something* was stopping you hearing it.