Is there a way of making my speakers better?

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Is there a way of making my speakers better?

Unread post by wallace »

Put them in a skip and get some transmission lines. :shifty: Just my tuppense worth.
You will never go anywhere else..
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sorry can't agree. I have never heard a transmission line that doesn't ruin the timing of the bass. OK goes deep but doesn't belong to the rest of the music, and also tends to emphasise one or a couple of notes as the line is tuned.

For me there are only two large speaker types, acoustic suspension (infinite baffle) and open baffle, everything else goes wrong to some degree or other. With small speakers the only designer to make ported speaker that don't make me wince is Royd.

But of course just my opinion, your ears are your truth.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

wallace wrote:Put them in a skip and get some transmission lines. :shifty: Just my tuppense worth.
You will never go anywhere else..
Block up the port [outlet] in your transmission lines :D just my euro's worth. After an initial ambivalence, I now love the sound of my infinite baffle speakers, [ see pic on other thread] I'm currently so happy with the sound I've stop tweaking and messing about, this is the first time in 18 years. Though that does include a period of 10 years [99-09], when I didnt have/need a hifi because I didnt get in till 3am every night [it was madchester after all]. In 1994 when I got my Pink, with an ortofon mc 30 supreme, mission 753 and a plethora of second hand amps I was never happy except when stella had numbed my senses :D .I even recall , following all Jimmy Hughes's tweaks, including his Peter Belt period. This included placing a sheet of paper in all even paged books [ I have a lot of books :o ]

p.s - The doc can type quicker than this 1 thumbed gimp so he's beat me to it with a response, which is sort of justice because it was his idea I followed.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Must be a subjective thing because I love mine, plus they work very well with an AP70 so narr. They also make a piano sound like a concert grand,in my living room.. :drool:
PS Hows your thumb getting on Dan?, did the same to mine a few years ago, took quite a while to come back on song.
Last edited by wallace on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .

Daniel Quinn

It's all subjective Wallace, you need only please one person in the world of hifi . :D

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Don't forget her in doors .

Daniel Quinn

:doh: Doh, so they were all right as they slammed the door, I am a selfish narcissistic arse :lol:

Thumb is recovering thanks, it just wont bend at all in the middle, hourly physio is the order of the day. :pray:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Yes - Feed them better...!!!

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Sorry can't agree. I have never heard a transmission line that doesn't ruin the timing of the bass. OK goes deep but doesn't belong to the rest of the music, and also tends to emphasise one or a couple of notes as the line is tuned.

For me there are only two large speaker types, acoustic suspension (infinite baffle) and open baffle, everything else goes wrong to some degree or other. With small speakers the ponly designer to make ported speaker that don't make me wince is Royd.

But of course just my opinion, your ears are your truth.
Yep, have to agree. Having got used to my OB's and statics, I find it difficult to listen to box speakers nowadays, I can always hear the cabinet singing along.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The thing with domestic speakers and bass is: you may not realise how flawed the bass in your system is because you may not have heard anything with significantly better bass. That's because speakers that take the easy route to getting good sounding bass are deeply unfashionable. Large to huge lightweight bass cones are unfashionable. Large to huge sealed boxes or speakers built into walls for a true infinite baffle are unfashionable. There are very few purist speakers around when it comes to bass.

It wasn't until I tried Bozak Symphony speakers that I realised how limited the bass was in my Heybrook HB1's and my Linn Saras and my Linn Isobariks. My EV Sentrys have flawed bass too compared to the Symphonys. So do every other ported and transmission line speaker that I've heard so far. You either get bass that is too lean or you get bass bloom where the notes don't stop and start like they should and bass guitar and kick drums get merged into an amorphous bass noise or you get a softening of percussive transients.