Roll on the weekend!

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Roll on the weekend!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

applemarc wrote:Well tinturkey how did you find the system at Muppet Labs I see your MCX's are for sale on ebay
Well I am sure he will post, but the process was screwed by not being able to rip his two CDs he brought along. The TFS just went slower and slower and finally crashed, the optical drive is FFF'd. Though on replay of existing rips it is fine.

My impression was he was most surprised by the speakers ;) :shhh: :shifty: :think:

tinturkey
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by tinturkey »

Yes, a quick thank you to Richard for letting me have a listen to the system. A bit unfortunate about the TFS. It would have been a lot more ideal to listen familiar music that I had taken along - Resghigi's Pines of Rome (4th movent - Appian Way)- the massive crescendo, pedal organ notes etc) plus a military band recording of Sousa marches.

Anyway, the tracks that I heard through the TFS and TSS were impressive enough. There were quite a lot of what I classed as holographic moments, the main one being when a saxophonist sounded like he was between myself and the wall and not coming out of the speakers at all?! Another nice piano recording sounded very life like. It's just a shame that I wasn't able to hear the full might that the TSS and the Cubix I'm sure was able to put out. Very impressive from what I heard though.

I did pick up a set of Super Sound Pipes that I ordered. I replaced the Sound Cords with these and there is quite a difference between the two. The main one being a more fullness in sound with the SSP's. As clear and detailed as the SC's. Very, very good and well woth the difference in price.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

tinturkey wrote:Yes, a quick thank you to Richard for letting me have a listen to the system. A bit unfortunate about the TFS. It would have been a lot more ideal to listen familiar music that I had taken along - Resghigi's Pines of Rome (4th movent - Appian Way)- the massive crescendo, pedal organ notes etc) plus a military band recording of Sousa marches.

Anyway, the tracks that I heard through the TFS and TSS were impressive enough. There were quite a lot of what I classed as holographic moments, the main one being when a saxophonist sounded like he was between myself and the wall and not coming out of the speakers at all?! Another nice piano recording sounded very life like. It's just a shame that I wasn't able to hear the full might that the TSS and the Cubix I'm sure was able to put out. Very impressive from what I heard though.

I did pick up a set of Super Sound Pipes that I ordered. I replaced the Sound Cords with these and there is quite a difference between the two. The main one being a more fullness in sound with the SSP's. As clear and detailed as the SC's. Very, very good and well woth the difference in price.
The TFS thing with the optical transport is a pain in the butt as it seems to be intermittent. But the drive will just have to be replaced.

One of the nice things about the system is it goes loud without throwing it at you and pinning you back the way most people think of as loud. It still holds its image integrity and never becomes PA-ish. Often I only know when it is too high when my wife comes down from upstairs and complains, or the neighbours frown at me the following day. There is still more to come out of the system when I replace LS6 with LS7, and even more if I can get a permanent set up as then I can put SSP in the system instead of SC. I have to use the system for test so the constant changes make SSP a pain in the butt, so I accept the compromise of SC.