Now, where was I...

All general audio posts go here.
howardc1951

Re: Now, where was I...

Unread post by howardc1951 »

terrybooth wrote:No, no, no, applemarc: you are missing a serious marketing opportunity here. What you need to do is 'invent' Higgs Boson ethernet cables. They'll give the music added weight.

I know, we need something a little snappier, how about 'Higgs Boson EC'?
and when you've done that here's something you can play through it!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -You-Dance

applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

They will start off quiet reasonably entry level call it The Grey at about £50 per meter then as the colour’s change the price will go up the one I use is The Orange fibre cable uses no copper and only cost £3250 per meter you will also need a special switch for it which again come in with different options starting at only £2000 more later when I have finished testing
Beresford Caiman Ipod

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I think you are missing the upgrade opportunities here. Surely we can have Higgs Boson EC Grey, Red, Yellow, White, Black, Blue and Purple at different price points, all of which would be backwards compatible but capable of better performance if used with some boson-improved active equipment before you have to trade in the lot and get the Orange system?
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is serious lack of understanding going on here, we are talking about cable = the physical world. Particles like the Higgs Boson don't follow these rules they are not confined by physical objects, in theory they make it possible to have physical objects. So a cable of any sort what ever made from is a waste of time. What we need is a force field to contain the particles and a means of imposing information upon them. Now we are looking at music which relies very much on timing to communicate information, and as these particles seem to have properties that are outside time i.e. they can exist simultaneously in two places, then the music conveyed by them would probably be very strange.

So what we would need would be similar to a Star Trek matter transporter. We would transport music from one point to the next in sub atomic particle form.

Beam me up Scotty :ugeek:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Doc, you're a genius. Of course, this means you could sell stuff people couldn't actually see or perceive directly in any way :!:. No, wait, maybe this has been done before. :o :o

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Purrr Zackerley - the ultimate hi-fi bullshit :text-bs:

PS don't tell Coconut Audio :teasing-tease:

f1eng
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by f1eng »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well the digital interconnect between transport and DAC makes a lot of difference and that I presume is sending digital parcels.
Aha, not at all. Digital audio went into production when digital was still quite young and most of the electronic components involved was still at the very limit of their capability. The disc is read, error correction(if there is not too much disc damage for the data redundancy) or error concealment (which is used where there is not enough data redundancy for correction - this is audible to obvious, depending on the nature of the errors) applied then sent as a continuous digital stream down the SPDIF link. The timing of the DAC is locked to the timing of this data stream. Whilst data is not likely to be lost there are potentially timing and reflection issues which can be effected by the link, including the cable.
Recently increasing numbers of DAC units have a buffer memory at the input which allows them to collect the data and re-clock it to the DAC. In the absence of earthing problems I would expect this to be cable transparent.
Data sent over CAT 5 is robust and if there are earthing or timing issues it is down to poor component design.
I can't think of any mechanism by which such a data cable could, in itself, effect sound quality.
I too have not heard a difference between NAS stored or on TFS stored files, but that could be expectation bias too ;-)
Frank

terrybooth
Great Britain

Thanks. I had the mistaken idea that error correction was applied nearer the d to A process. I'm now thinking the SPDIF is what we used to call co-axial ethernet . This is reinforced by the male coax connection on my Exposure CD player. These were a very different thing to UTP or STP. As I've found to my cost, they are much more error prone.