PMC

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Great Britain

Re: PMC

Unread post by antonio66 »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:24 am
antonio66 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:22 am I've heard PMC at shows, they are not a room I would stay in very long.
Unlike B&W. Where I'd spend hours. Because their speakers send me to sleep.
I've mostly found Kef to maybe be a bit too full on, not sleep inducers, but the opposite to me. We did enjoy a demonstration of the Kef Blades when they first came out, I cannot remember the partnering equipment.

BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Unread post by BadgerBeerIsBest »

The old models were good and the ' i ' series were too. I have had TB2i stand mounts, FB1i and OB1i floor standers.
My current ones are the PB!i floor standers they have all had sweet 'SEAS' treble units ,lovely voicing, tight bass and a sound stage outside of the speakers.
They do need a good gutsy amp to grab hold of them though, I used them with a Naim nap 250/300 amps and NVA A80.
I will not be ditching them as I have had them custom painted deep cherry red (think Renault/Masda) unless I find a pair with a massive open sound stage.

However could not agree more with the comments about the new '23, 24, 25 and all the lean back ones since.
I have listened to them at my local Audio t and they just sound bland and boring, totally unexciting.
They built the reputation old the old models and totally thrown it away on the new budget ranges.
As far as magazine and internet reviews go I has always amused me how the reviewer now slags of the old model (which he previously praised) with the launch of the latest version.
All the time advertising funds them they will only be an extension of HiFi companies marketing departments.
These users thanked the author BadgerBeerIsBest for the post:
savvypaul (Tue May 25, 2021 9:54 am)
Don't gas my Badger........it's not Lager..!

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

BadgerBeerIsBest wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:31 pm ...could not agree more with the comments about the new '23, 24, 25 and all the lean back ones since.
I have listened to them at my local Audio t and they just sound bland and boring, totally unexciting.
They built the reputation old the old models and totally thrown it away on the new budget ranges.
As far as magazine and internet reviews go I has always amused me how the reviewer now slags of the old model (which he previously praised) with the launch of the latest version.
All the time advertising funds them they will only be an extension of HiFi companies marketing departments.
Interesting that in other fields magazine reviews are seen as independent and reliable. Amateur Photographer for example is well regarded as providing accurate, honest reviews of cameras, lenses etc. Hi-Fi magazines on the other hand are distrusted.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:52 pm
BadgerBeerIsBest wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:31 pm ...could not agree more with the comments about the new '23, 24, 25 and all the lean back ones since.
Interesting that in other fields magazine reviews are seen as independent and reliable. Amateur Photographer for example is well regarded as providing accurate, honest reviews of cameras, lenses etc. Hi-Fi magazines on the other hand are distrusted.
And by and large its right to distrust hifi mags and online reviews. To my way of thinking there is far more nonsense written than good stuff
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue May 25, 2021 11:58 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 am
Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:52 pm
And by and large its right to distrust hifi mags and online reviews. To my way of thinking there is far more nonsense written than good stuff
+1
There are too many agendas and sweeteners. Added to that you cannot properly assass equipment without decent speakers and thin WAF floor standers do not come into that catagory. There are so many variables that the only way to judge equipment is in your own listening room and system. I am amazed by the numbers who are taken in by the marketing :Bllocks: . and tend to see WAF speakers as a modern day flat earth.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue May 25, 2021 11:58 am)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Unread post by BadgerBeerIsBest »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:52 am How would you say your PMC Twenty 21's compare to the ATC 11's for clarity?
Having had PMC and ATC 11 Mk2 (rounded ones) I can answer that.
The ATCs are exactly what they were designed to be studio monitors, they are very analytical loads of detail but completely cold. I could not listen to them they reminded me of Grado Headphones , cant listen to them either even with old fella high frequency hearing loss.
The old ' i ' series PMC have always got the human voice just right for me, detailed enough to hear the emotion with a bit of warmth.
These users thanked the author BadgerBeerIsBest for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:54 am) • Grumpytim (Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 am)
Don't gas my Badger........it's not Lager..!