from rubber band to direct drive

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: from rubber band to direct drive

Unread post by jayman67 »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Jamie, I think 'we' all told you to give the Pioneer a chance. I'm glad it's working out for you as I think it looks far better than the PL71 - and I do acknowledge how good the 71 is at getting music off records. Sorry for jumping in as I did. Give the Sony arm a chance, it can't be 'that' bad and obviously you now have time if you want, to do some serious tonearm research :)
dave,
no need to apologize to me mate,i wasn't offended by your post,the only thing that slightly peeved me off was the fact that you were making assumptions about my lp-12 based on an old photo thats all.

anyway moving on it was collected last night so its all water under the bridge as far as im concerend . :guiness;
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

jayman67

i picked up my new tonearm to try today,lovely bit of kit :grin:
also some new feet for the pioneer as on the old ones the rubber had perished.

Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Those Alphason arm tubes are a lovely piece of engineering.

I like the engineering in your Sony arm too.

jayman67

if i remember right the doc said 2 things not to change are the feet and the mat on the pioneer,unfortunately as i said earlier the rubber had gone on my feet and the mat has warped,today i fitted new feet and stuck the mat down with double sided tape. big difference,the plinth now rides on the rubber instead of bottoming out and the platter when flicked doesn't ring like a bell.

here's some pics of the tonearm in action,just for jammy and the doc :grin: :guiness;

im single so im allowed to have a drill press in the kitchen!

next on the list is an ebony armboard.
and who'd of thought,if i hadn't had joined this forum id still be listening to the lp12 :guiness;

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

You've got a beauty there for sure.

Enjoy

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Looking the biz that tt and the Alphason just finishes off nicely and setting up looks good. 8-)

Regarding the warped mat, is the mat rubber?, maybe worth a try bathe with kettle of boiled water for a couple minutes to take out the warp.
Frank...made me do it.

jayman67

cheers mate,its hard and brittle,im not sure what its made off (the doc may know)
ive tried clamping it between 2 bits of mdf after soaking it in warm water and its fine for a few hours then warps again,i figured double sided tape rather than glue as i can get it off the platter easy if i need to.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

How is the Alphason sounding compared to the Sony arm?

jayman67

much,much better in every department,particularly in the top end,clarity and detail have really improved :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

2nd hand Pioneer mats come up regularly on ebay. I have had two with different patterns on them and they sound the same.