Flat Earth

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Flat Earth

Unread post by Lindsayt »

That was so much the thinking of the Flat Earth from the '80's and my thinking too at that time. Don't blame the system, blame the recording. Because Linn make the best turntables and speakers and Naim make the best amps.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

i.e. The flat earth brainwash. Complete :Bllocks:

At least a lot of people are waking up and seeing that at last.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

I always considered NVA to be an approved flat earth brand. The products always seemed to attract praise and recommendations in Hi-Fi Review. I loved reading Chris Frankland's reviews and articles. Maybe he was just a Linn stooge. I don't know. He's one of my all time Hi-Fi heroes though. Flat earth gear is great.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Nigel wrote:I always considered NVA to be an approved flat earth brand. The products always seemed to attract praise and recommendations in Hi-Fi Review. I loved reading Chris Frankland's reviews and articles. Maybe he was just a Linn stooge. I don't know. He's one of my all time Hi-Fi heroes though. Flat earth gear is great.
Sorry mate we only made up the numbers for group reviews in order to come second to Naim, it was always soooo predictable. In those days I gave amps to any mag or reviewer who asked for them, in the hope one or two of them would suddenly discover how to be honest, or developed the balls to stand up to Ivor.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Top spec LP12, Naim 52 pre into the big top of the range Naim power amps, Linn Isobarik loudspeakers. What a dream system.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Heco Direkt Einklang

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

What a waste of bloody money :roll:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I owned a top spec LP12 - or at least it would have been top spec in 1991. Plus briks. Never got into Naim, but had an Avondale.

The Avondale was the best part of that system and the best value for money.

It was nice to achieve a dream I had in 1982 and then move onto something else that sounds significantly better. Would have been even better if I'd by-passed the Flat Earth system altogether.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

I never could afford it anyway. I always thought if Chris or Malcolm Steward had it, then it must be the best. There's a fascinating piece in an old Hi-Fi Review, NVA turntable, amps and loudspeakers. The NVA system. I think Ian Rankin wrote it, you went to his house if I remember, the NVA challenge. He loved the system.
Heco Direkt Einklang

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Sounds fabulous, Lindsay. The only downside to a top of the range LP12 is that it didn't stay top of the range too long. What about Mana stands? Did you have those?
Heco Direkt Einklang

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Nigel wrote:Top spec LP12, Naim 52 pre into the big top of the range Naim power amps, Linn Isobarik loudspeakers. What a dream system.
Sounded :Bllocks:
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)