Should Britain remain in Europe. ?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Should Britain remain in Europe. ?

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Macca wrote:If you think a man is wrong, say so and say why. If you think he is a racist, say so and say why. Describing someone as a 'fascist' in 2015 is essentially meaningless 'nu-speak'.
Not so , it is dictionary defined and accordingly to call some one a fascist would simply be pursuant of the dictionary definition .

Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

A definition that will depend on the dictionary - I don't have one to hand but I would imagine a complete dictionary would have quite long entries for 'fascist' and 'fascism' given their multitude of uses, as Joe and I have already explained.

My principle objection is that its use in a knee-jerk, rabble-rousing manner is both lazy and ultimately pointless insofar as advancing any sort of meaningful political discussion.
indeed I would suggest that the use of the word in any context is a deliberate attempt to de-rail meaningful discussion. That is about the only practical purpose it now serves.

Daniel Quinn

O contre , you are fascist is a germane succinct and often applicable comment .

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Scotish independence economic policy founded on oil being at $148 a barrel , current price of oil . $45 dollars a barrel . :lol:
We will claw it al back once oil climbs above the $200 mark again Dan....... ;) :lol:

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Daniel Quinn wrote:O contre , you are fascist is a germane succinct and often applicable comment .
Only if you are Rik from 'The Young Ones'. Or are being ironic in a postmodernist way.

Daniel Quinn

seems to me that your refusal to let my definition and usage of the term fascist stand at legitimate, is in itself somewhat fascistic ;)

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

No, your attempt to railroad through your definition is much more fascististic. In fact I've just looked up 'fascist' in the dictionary and there is a picture of you..... :grin:

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Anyway enough of this gay banter - I've voted out of europe. No more free money for the loser countries, that's my motto.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Can I suggest that instead of looking up the word "Fascist" (which has lost the power of it's original meaning due to everyone and his dog using it as a perjorative for anyone else who's a bit stroppy) you look up the definition of Facism and decide how to insult each other (nicely of course) properly from there. Or am I just being the Facism Nazi here? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Macca wrote:Anyway enough of this gay banter - I've voted out of europe. No more free money for the loser countries, that's my motto.
Yep lets leave the Gay Banter to PFM members...... :mrgreen:
Im digging yer moto Macca. :clap: