Source First?

All general audio posts go here.
Ninanina
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Source First?

Unread post by Ninanina »

r100

You had a lucky escape there, phew!!..... seriously the Uniti is C@*p.... beautifully built but still C@*p

I just cannot work out how What Hi Fi can give it such a great review.. :shifty:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Bev if you can't work that one out you must be thick, so I am presuming it is a rhetorical question.

One word - advertising.

Ninanina

Don't think I'm thick. So maybe backhanders somewhere ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ninanina wrote:Don't think I'm thick. So maybe backhanders somewhere ?
Read the second line Bev

Ninanina

He he :D

r100

Unread post by r100 »

Ninanina wrote:I actually purchased a brand new Naim Uniti ....... what an absolute load of rubbish.... I just cannot get on with the Naim sound and I have tried everything they make ie amps, cds etc. I once had one of their expensive CDX2 cd players and sold it a few months later. I do love the build of Naim stuff generally and i believe their service department is second to none BUT if it doesn't sound good whats the point of that... I just DONT get their sound at all :snooty:
What was your source on the Uniti ? Did you rip some CD's an play them from you computer / iPad / iphone or did you connect the meridian to the Uniti ? I think it makes quite a difference how the files are ripped and at what resolution. My CD collection has been sleeping in the cellar since the airport express came out. The only current drawback with iTunes / AEx is that everything passing through it is down sampled to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz but it still sounds very good if you have a good DAC on the receiving end. I only recently got an external DAC, first the Maverick and now the Rega and it has been a real revelation at every upgrade.. of course Doc's amp and LS cables have also made a subtile but important contribution.

edit: it seems 16 bit / 44.1 is enough http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70893.0