JPW AP2

All general audio posts go here.
Alfi
Wales

Re: JPW AP2

Unread post by Alfi »

Many years ago Loctite salesman visited us at work to show off their range of engineering products and demonstrated how to release ones index finger and thumb should one have the misfortune to stick them together.. He duly applied a small blob of cyanoacrylate to his thumb and with gasps of disbelief pressed his index finger to his thumb..

To release he just worked his finger and thumb side to side and the bond parted!

Moral: Superglue is strong in tension but weak in shear - well that brand was! Please don't try this yourselves as a party piece in case it doesn't work.

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

jammy395 wrote:Stay focused Alfi, careful with that glue...!!!
When my hands are covered with glue or paint why does the phone always ring or someone knocks at the door ?
Will do Jammy, I have solvent/rubber based contact adhesive at the ready, but to be honest I'm reluctant to start the job as I'm enjoying them so much as they are right now with just the BAF removed.

I'm struggling to accept they can perform better again when the other mods have been completed. Even though I have complete faith in the Doc, I can't bear to have them out of use whilst I'm doing the plating job.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Most power amps like passives, some don't, you will have to try. If it doesn't like it then it will sound flat. In that case just send back for refund.
Thanks for that Doc. I'm keen to give one a try in the near future, purely based on all the positive outcomes I've realised since trying your cables and JPW mods.
Last edited by Alfi on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Alfi wrote:
jammy395 wrote:Stay focused Alfi, careful with that glue...!!!
When my hands are covered with glue or paint why does the phone always ring or someone knocks at the door ?
Will do Jammy, I have solvent/rubber based contact adhesive at the ready, but to be honest I'm reluctant to start the job as I'm enjoying them so much as they are right now with just the BAF removed.

I'm struggling to accept they can perform better again when the other mods have been completed. Even though I have complete faith in the Doc, I can't bear to have them out of use whilst I'm doing the plating job.

Alfi.
Removing the wadding opens the speaker out, gives it more clarity and air. By using the steel plate you get a little more of this but the major change will be in the bass. The clarity you have now in the midband and treble will be accompanied by low frequency clarity and extended bass notes. To begin with it may seem like less bass quantity as the bass doubling and mush gets largely removed, and you may find you will need to push them further back to the wall.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

All good stuff there Doc, but I'm sure Mrs Alfi will pick up on your comment that I may find the need to push them furher back to the wall. :lol:

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Only managed to do one cabinet today, never mind t'other will be completed on Sunday :grin:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well opportunity to compare before and after :whistle:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Did you get the bitumen padding out? Mine had gone rock hard and was immovable.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well opportunity to compare before and after :whistle:
I did have rather a strange effect (as I guess one would expect) running just one plated and the other non, but it certainly supported your statements. The plated one appeared less "boomy" (if that's the term?) but still "airy". I also feel it was even more detailed in the mid range than the non plated cabinet. I'll report back later when running both plated.

Alfi.
Last edited by Alfi on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Did you get the bitumen padding out? Mine had gone rock hard and was immovable.
No Daniel, the bitumen in mine was rock hard too, I also noticed that all bitumen slabs were not only stuck on with hot melt glue but also extensively stapled in place, so I didn't even try to remove them. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the work was to complete once all sides were glued up and left to dry as per manufacturers instructions.

I'll complete the remaining cabinet later today :shock:

Bass driver Inductor removal next then ? But only after a few days listening to weighty cabs.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.