Source First?

All general audio posts go here.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Source First?

Unread post by terrybooth »

Sound is up to you, but I can vouch for Jason's after sales service.
And don"t forget, if you don't like it you give it back.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Ninanina wrote:Well I've just put back a Marantz CD63 Ki into the system; what a load of rubbish compared to my Meridian......least I can now sell it and put the money against another cd player

I did consider the computer route but cd's are so cheap and I like putting cd's into the player....odd i know :lol:
There's nothing to stop you keeping the Meridian - it's a pretty good CDP after all. It might be worth speaking to Jason and seeing if you can get a dem of the TFS. It's not instantly intuitive, unless you spend a lot of time with PCs, but you are rewarded with a multi-tasking bit of kit. You can download cheap CDs on it (I also have the habit of picking up the 1p bargains from Amazon), and they do sound somewhat more natural played back afterwards on the TFS. Spotify sounds tremendous through it.

Ultimately, I still prefer to listen to CDs and vinyl: I like the physicality of this approach. But the TFS has certainly opened my eyes to the capabilities of a multi-faceted music player.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

r100
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by r100 »

I would invest in a good DAC and use a cheap CD player with optical out as a transport only. Or rip the CD's to a HD in which case you could still use the DAC. I'm just glad I didn't go the Uniti route. They really have lost value in a very short time.

Ninanina

Unread post by Ninanina »

I've PM'd Jason but heard nothing back

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

I use a laptop and a DAC, I miss a CD player, Jammy is right it is nice to put something in a drawer and sit back, but the versatility of a computer and a DAC is incredible.

Ninanina

Thanks Doc i've mailed Jason directly

James... which DAC are you using?

Ninanina

To r100

I actually purchased a brand new Naim Uniti ....... what an absolute load of rubbish.... I just cannot get on with the Naim sound and I have tried everything they make ie amps, cds etc. I once had one of their expensive CDX2 cd players and sold it a few months later. I do love the build of Naim stuff generally and i believe their service department is second to none BUT if it doesn't sound good whats the point of that... I just DONT get their sound at all :snooty:

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

MDAC, That has been moded somewhat by John Westlake

r100

Unread post by r100 »

@ Ninanina

I almost got sucked in by the marketing hype myself .. but the local Naim representative had a very superior attitude which kind of cooled me off a little... fortunately..