Small speaker recommendations

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Small speaker recommendations

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

When there are so many interesting gems out there from small companies why do people waste their money on over priced commercial dross like B&W etc produce.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:When there are so many interesting gems out there from small companies why do people waste their money on over priced commercial dross like B&W etc produce.

I often wander that myself - Can only put it down to the marketing bullshit....The folks have bought into it. :evil:
oh the poor misguided fool's............ :doh:

Mind you a pair of B&W Nautilus at 55 Grand, might sound ok................ :dance:................THE SNAILS.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Citrus wrote:Hi Ronin,

Yes the JPWs keep and keep popping up in discussion AND rubber surround does reduce the risk of 'previously enjoyed' gear... :shock:

Thanks for the offer on the Sonatas, at £25 that sounds like a deal :) - I'm waiting on borrowing a friends pair of gold monitors, so that'll focus my thoughts... I'm also in the process of negotiating to buy something else to 'try'... all will be revealed later 'IF' the acquisition comes off... I also have 'the speaker police' to deal with... :doh: - I'm sure lots of you have one of those... :roll:

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve,

No worries ;)

Glad you're happy with the Loth X speakers.I had a pair of Loth-X Ion 3 using Croft amps, unfortunately I couldn't get on with the bass quality but,then again, I sold the Croft amps as -well so I don't really know what was at fault for me .Personally i didn't feel the connection between Croft and Loth-X .Maybe NVA would have been better :?: I guess I'll never know :think:

All the best with your "new" purchase ;)

Cheers

Ronin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Interesting, there is so much out there, so much being talked about. We only know about what we have heard, that is why forums are so important for the future of this industry for me. What we need is a membership with a wide experience.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I really ought to hook up a pair of my ATC SCM 7s to my system to see how they work.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

terrybooth wrote:I really ought to hook up a pair of my ATC SCM 7s to my system to see how they work.
Please do and give us a review.

Citrus

Unread post by Citrus »

Ronin wrote:
Hi Steve,

No worries ;)

Glad you're happy with the Loth X speakers.I had a pair of Loth-X Ion 3 using Croft amps, unfortunately I couldn't get on with the bass quality but,then again, I sold the Croft amps as -well so I don't really know what was at fault for me .Personally i didn't feel the connection between Croft and Loth-X .Maybe NVA would have been better :?: I guess I'll never know :think:

All the best with your "new" purchase ;)

Cheers

Ronin
Hi Ronin,

Thanks :) - My current feelings are that these are really nice sounding speakers, I also REALLY like the fact that I've been able to very simply tweak their sound to suit my listening preference more :D . It was a very lucky find/acquisition as I knew little to nothing about them and they were outside my original budget. They sounded very good before I 'played' with them but now they sound, what I consider to be, great - they now fulfill what it was I was looking for in a small speaker (large bookshelf...) - full, rich, detailed and musical sound with good bottom end extension. Yes, as RD says, I've introduced a mechanical filter by physically damping the cabinet and that has reduced the amplification characteristics of the (undamped) cabinet... but in doing so t's given me 4 out of 5 things, rather than 3 - plus its only some, strategicallly cut and placed, convoluted foam that can very easilly be removed if need be (or somewhere inbetween) to revert back to a lighter bottom end and greater natural cabinet amplification. I think I read on another thread that Wallace was still tinkering with crossovers and Daniel Quinn is kind-of banging his head with a pair of Wharfedal Diamonds, both trying to achieve a sound they're happy with... by not much more than luck I think I've found that place. I would add though that I'm 1,000,000% convinced of the lesser spotted 'synergy' - the BS1s sound awful with a couple of other amps I tried and, conversely, the amps that work well with the Loth-x's sound awful with another pair of speakers I have... so possibly that's what you found with the ION 3s, you just hadn't hit upon the right combo (for your ears).

Cheers,
Steve

phil66
Austria

Unread post by phil66 »

I bought a nice looking pair of Eltax Nexus 2e speakers for just €10 ! Normaly they are sold here in electroinic markets for about €100. They look very proper, are very small - bit higher than 20cm , and they have a serious looking bass/mid driver....
First listening impression was a pure dissapointment - dull ( but the tweeter did something... ), uninformative, slow , but a lot ( if bad !) of bass for these small cases. I gave them a chance and removed the crossover - using now only a capacitor for the tweeter - bass/mid driver is direct driven by the amp :D
everything is now soldered inside ( why using all these cheap/ corroding plugs to the drivers and crossover ??? :shock: )

Played now free in the room (180 cm fron the rear wall !) they sound completely different than with their original crossover !! Very clear, transparent and dynamic - very good soundstage - can be played really loud - guitars and voices and drums are ... wow !!! I prefer them to my Royd Topas anytime !!

A real bargain for me - with spending less than one hour for the "modification" ..... :D :D :D

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well makes you wonder why the designer cant do this,,,,,,,,,, :think:
strange..........Some manufactures dont seem to bother sounding their speakers.....An awful lot of them seem quite dull............... :think: :shock:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If you wear a white coat and have letters after your name you have to do something to justify your salary and the cost of the test gear. Where as ears are free, nature and genetics gave them to us.