Dumb speaker question

All general audio posts go here.
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: Dumb speaker question

Post by TheMadMick »

I'd strongly recommend Royd Eden's. My eldest had a pair and they performed flawlessly. I then used them on my computer driven by a Denon DM37 and this blew away most anything else I could find at a sensible price. The only problem was one of the 4mm sockets on the back came loose. Probably easy to fix but I never got round to it.

Buy with confidence and invest in some proper wax polish - it may not cure the sunburn but should make it look better. :grin:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The B&W's of this range in particular were very good and rather better made and specified in my opinion, but being smaller, the ports are possibly doing too much. Firing them across the room will get them out of the blasted corners which add so much colouration usually. This range of B&W's aren't bad at all (I loved the CD-M7's I remember) and could communicate well, unlike some of the rubbish they're making for peanuts in China now (with a 70% or so dealer margin...).
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Quarknosis

Post by Quarknosis »

I had a late thought about the Dentons that Jonty has gone for, they won't be ready to use straight away as they won't have binding posts. If I remember correctly these have screw terminals which will need replacing before banana plugs can be used. Sorry if this causes any problems Jonty.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Jonty2547
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jonty2547 »

I've ordered some of these ready for when they arrive.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-Y-Fork-Spad ... Ciid%253A7
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I have a pair of Denton W20's here, the originals. They sound infinitely 'nice' in a bland way but reproduce nothing of the subtely in the music. I put it down to old bland drivers and a lossy cabinet blurring dynamics slightly. At least they don't squawk or sting in the slightest. Easy to get 4mm binding posts to screw into the existing terminals.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Useful things those adaptors.

antonio66

Post by antonio66 »

"I've ordered some of these ready for when they arrive" - Always Thinking Jonty. :grin:

Quarknosis

Post by Quarknosis »

Jonty2547 wrote:I've ordered some of these ready for when they arrive.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-Y-Fork-Spad ... Ciid%253A7
:dance: cos I can't see a thumbs up emoticon anywhere.

Regarding Dave's comments about them being bland, I'd be very interested to know what you think of them as standard and if you do mod them Jonty. I find them very "nice" too but with a newer tweeter and caps I don't think that they are bland but neither could they be put in the monitor class either. For some reason I keep returning to mine in anything but my main system though.

One advantage of these is that screw off back panel which makes access to fit steel plate much easier.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Jonty2547

Post by Jonty2547 »

Quarknosis wrote: Regarding Dave's comments about them being bland, I'd be very interested to know what you think of them as standard and if you do mod them Jonty.
After speaking to the seller today about the misleading item location (he offered to send them for free, which i declined and insisted i pay some postage costs for them) they will be with me next week :guiness;
Quite looking forward to receiving them as the only other speakers i've tried in the last 13 years bar the B&W's were DL10's (which i initially liked, but the tweeters were fairly horrid after a while).
Obviously i'll report my findings providing they work 100%. But the main aim is to mod the life out of them, and for that i'll need some advice from the HFS collective.
I'll start a thread when i receive them :ugeek:
Quite excited actually as i've modded too many cars to remember, but not any hifi :pray:
What could possibly go wrong
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I'm talking original Dentons with gold flecked grilles and chamfered edges around the grilles which are pinned on, not the horrible XP things that came later, which nothing could save in my opinion.

Looking at the original tweeters, there's NOTHING wrong with them - honest! Cone-dome types went out of fashion for many years but more modern tweeters mimic this in much refined form as a ring-radiator. the cheapo Audax tweeter so popular thirty years ago was also a tiny cone-dome type. The cone in mine is a heavy paper type and with very large for the time rubber roll surround. Seriously, you can buy 4mm posts that will screw straight into the screw holes, those expensive spade adaptor thingies totally ott and they risk shorting together if the cables are disturbed - the screws are not that 'tightenable' imo.

The boxes are where you could beef them up as they're not very thick chipboard. You get into them on the back and the crossover (two or three components) is on the back - coil on the bass-mid driver and a 8uF? cap plus coil and resistor on the tweeter. I've got some pics somewhere. Stuffing (proper acoustic 'wool' from memory, not BAF wadding) is loose and easily removed or replaced.