Hi-Fi Pics.

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hi-Fi Pics.

Unread post by Andrew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Andrew - I forget who made the tweeters, but I know they are no longer made, and I have never seen any at ebay. Bass/ mids are bextrene Dalesfords. PM me about crossover values.

Grills were fabricated from perforated steel plate. Snipped at the corners and bent to form the sides shape then black spray painted.

There is a pair of the stands designed to go with sitting at Paul Messengers gaff which you can have for free if you can get them collected from Herne Bay, Kent.
Wow, cheers Doc :D

The sorry little fellers arrived lunchtime and I've just finished cleaning them (hard to believe how much muck there was. Bass units are working fine and the tweeter issue looks to be an easy fix as a crossover wire has come off. Unfortunately it's broken off at the body of the resistor, so I will need a replacement.

It's a 5.6 ohm 10% resistor made by RS. There's another value that I don't understand. it says "156-125" before the bit I do understand "5R6 10%".

The tweeters are Morel MDT32 which I may or may not keep. I d like to just get them working first before deciding on that one. I'll have to take them to bits to deal with the cabinets anyway.

I'd figured the grilles must've been made that way. There are no signs of anything being attached on this pair so I'm wondering if they could possibly have been made without.

Even as tatty as they are, running only the bass units, I still felt a real sense of satisfaction just having these sat in my system. Been a long term goal, and one I thought would be left unfulfilled :D

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Looks interesting, Andrew.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

southall-1998
Wales

Andrew,

Do you still use the Rock turntable? Have you ever tried one without using it's signature trough? If so, how was your findings?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Hi Shane. Both my Rocks are gone now. It's not that easy for me to answer because my experiences old and new have differed. Back in the day, I made the comparison and definitely thought the trough was a must. Whilst the sound had more freedom without the trough, the iron grip on all aspects, especially bass, made it an easy win for the trough in place.

Fast-forward to recent times and I've had 5 rocks (maybe six) in the last couple of years. Today it just sounds over-damped with the trough and a bit "shut in". I really don't know if I've changed, or if it's the system and room that differ. My money is on it being my tastes. I've become so used to the presentation of my favoured Xerxes, maybe I see anything different as being wrong, when it isn't necessarily so,

I understand you asking, as it's not straightforward to do a fair comparison. You have to remove the outrigger to make it meaningful and that's a bit of a faff. Just think of it as having the best of both worlds. It's a good deck either way up :D

southall-1998
Wales

Andrew wrote:Hi Shane. Both my Rocks are gone now. It's not that easy for me to answer because my experiences old and new have differed. Back in the day, I made the comparison and definitely thought the trough was a must. Whilst the sound had more freedom without the trough, the iron grip on all aspects, especially bass, made it an easy win for the trough in place.

Fast-forward to recent times and I've had 5 rocks (maybe six) in the last couple of years. Today it just sounds over-damped with the trough and a bit "shut in". I really don't know if I've changed, or if it's the system and room that differ. My money is on it being my tastes. I've become so used to the presentation of my favoured Xerxes, maybe I see anything different as being wrong, when it isn't necessarily so,

I understand you asking, as it's not straightforward to do a fair comparison. You have to remove the outrigger to make it meaningful and that's a bit of a faff. Just think of it as having the best of both worlds. It's a good deck either way up :D
I've had some people (Rock owners) telling me there is no point owning a Rock if you don't use the trough. I can sort of understand what they are saying! I also recall in a chap saying the Rock without the trough is no better than a Rega Planar 3........ :think: It's the trough what makes the Rock special etc :roll:

My father also owns a Rock and uses it with an SME V and does not bother to use the trough. Because he finds his SME V better without it!

My guess the trough is just best with a good condition Excalibur.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Andrew wrote:It's a 5.6 ohm 10% resistor made by RS. There's another value that I don't understand. it says "156-125" before the bit I do understand "5R6 10%".
The 156-125 is probably the RS Components product code number :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, Dave. It doesn't have the wattage rating on but I'll try a 10 watt as these seem to be common for crossovers. I'll probably pop out and get one tomorrow or Sunday.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I still think the new grills look far better than the old ones.

5w - 7w - 10w, it makes no difference. there is F'all current going through tweeters.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

The Rock is gone but I still have the arm. I didn't get round to taking any new pics but will try tomorrow.
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.