Forum Clock...

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Forum Clock...

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Daniel Quinn wrote:You forget children leave school at 3.30 and it is still light . bst ensures they go and come home in daylight .
It is so bloody simple change the school times to an hour later, 10am to 4.30pm, In France secondary schools are 8,30am to 5pm !!!!!!! In Germany they start school at 7.30am and finish at 12noon (no breaks) so no morning light for them in winter. Holland 8:30 to 12 and 1:30 to 3:30, half day on Wednesday.

So per usual the Brits have the daftest time and system possible.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

changing school time is not compatible with most peoples working hours , alas .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

In the rest of Europe children walk to school, I did from the age of 5. Or with later schools I got a bus. Why do people have to drive their kids to school here, what is wrong with us now.

Daniel Quinn

As did I from the age of 5 , now I walk my 3 to school , unfortunately until they start "big school" it would be inconceivable these days to let a child under 10 walk to school on their own . Not sure why that is :think:

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm not sure how darkness automatically equals risk for kids. Most of the wee chavs are lurking round the streets all evening in many areas, yet parents don't seem to worry about that. Then there is the rest of the population to consider. Public opinion seems to strongly favour scrapping the current situation. Always has from what I've seen.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Nor am I, it is bloody daft, and I see no reason for the rest of the population to suffer just because some people are bloody daft.

Why can't they walk themselves, what is wrong with them.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Daniel Quinn wrote:
Andrew wrote:Agree with the Doc 100%. I hate the onset of darkness too early (and I'm about as far North as you can get, unless you cross the Border). Mind you, I have never got up before 9am at the earliest. My earliest starting job in my life has been 10am and I've struggled with that. Early daylight is no good to me :D

Just saw DQ's post. It's dark here by 3.30 in December and January. God knows about Scotland. I honestly think we are pushing the limits of where its healthy for humans to live. Goodness knows how Scandinavians cope. To me, daylight is like air, food and water. Essential for a decent life. I love the North as well as Scotland, but Winter is like my vision of hell.
For a man that spends a load of time in Greece and doesn't work currently , this is a little OTT :mrgreen: Go for a walk now Andrew before it gets dark :lol:
:D Hehe it's one of the major reasons why I'm quitting Britain. I'll miss lots, but I really can't be doing with 7 hours of daylight for a quarter of the year. I'm actually just off out now for a bike ride, just to get some sunlight. Yes, it's actually sunny in Newcastle. Can't believe my luck!!!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Andrew wrote:I'm not sure how darkness automatically equals risk for kids. Most of the wee chavs are lurking round the streets all evening in many areas, yet parents don't seem to worry about that. Then there is the rest of the population to consider. Public opinion seems to strongly favour scrapping the current situation. Always has from what I've seen.
Go to any council estate and you will see 8 to 10 year olds running the streets at 10pm. Little gangs of feral humans. And I would feel sorry for any paedophile who tried to molest them :shock:

Daniel Quinn

My wee chavs don't wander anywhere :lol: . And irrespective of any explanation , accident statistics prove dark is bad .

And alas piss poor parenting is not a reason to end BST :mrgreen:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

My parents were not piss poor and I walked to school starting at 8am. Half hour walk and half hour in the school playground with my friends.