Rega Ela.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rega Ela.

Unread post by Andrew »

Just wondering if you went for these, Shane? I actually found out a little more about the Apex vs Rega crossover. Seems like the Royd did have a more complex crossover after all. Could be to do with it being designed to run with the active crossovers for the amps of the day? The rega is definitely a simpler Crossover because I've had mine apart a while ago. Here's a couple of pics of the Apex. Hope the link works.

http://s885.photobucket.com/user/mrcart ... brary/Hifi

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Andrew , where's the picture from ?, they look like modified Apex's , a google image search shows elas with binding posts nothing like those pictured .

perhaps x-over is also a modification ?

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

It's from google image search (actually from two different sources, which removes the possibility of mods unless they were both modified separately but identically). The Apex did have those external leads which I remember from the time. Like I said, they were designed for going active without having to rip them apart.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Here's a link to the Royd fans website, which again shows the Apex with external leads

http://www.roydaudio.com/models/apex/

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

And from another review of the day:

" A generously specified and quite complex crossover is fitted within the stand with flying leads to the cabinet proper – visually clumsy, it permits ultimate four way drive mode flexibility: passive, bi-wire, bi-amp or active."

“Hi-Fi Choice”, issue 78, published in January 1990.

Daniel Quinn

You've convinced me :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

That is not a complex crossover it look largely 1st order and some 2nd order at the most. I think there is a lot of Rega bullshit involved with this. If you want a complex crossover go look at Spendor or Harbeth 4th and 5th order filters.

Daniel Quinn

This is probably a discussion not aided by the use of the term "complex crossover" 1st/2nd order x-overs are probably not correctly described as complex crossovers . Having said that 4 capacitors and 3 inductors is a lot for a 2 way unit , if we are talking minimalist design . No resistors though and praise the lord it is hardwired . :D

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Daniel Quinn wrote:This is probably a discussion not aided by the use of the term "complex crossover" 1st/2nd order x-overs are probably not correctly described as complex crossovers . Having said that 4 capacitors and 3 inductors is a lot for a 2 way unit , if we are talking minimalist design . No resistors though and praise the lord it is hardwired . :D
It's apparently third order:

"the Royd uses a more complex, 18dB/octave (third order) type crossover"

Reproduced from “Hi-Fi Review” published in November 1989.

I'll take some pics of the Ela crossover when I get bored enough to open them up. I'd still be very keen to compare both speakers but they sold a lot more Elas than Apex so you don't see too many of the latter. When they do appear, they tend to be collection only, which I often cannot do.

Daniel Quinn

I am incapable of telling if its a 3rd order from the picture , even if I could see the figures on all the capacitors , but looking on the net it could well be a 3rd order butterworth :D