Source First?

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Source First?

Unread post by zebbo »

29mile wrote:Sorry but have to agree with the anti-CD brigade. For me it is a dying medium and one that I never really got on with. CD players prices are continuing to tumble so you could end up with a quickly depreciating asset. Computer audio does however benefit from a good DAC and there are now some very good medium range ones out there now. But its your dosh and your call !
Aye, but that's the beauty of the Fusion player, it is also a switchable CD / stand-alone DAC so best of both worlds.
I really did like it but my situation is such that I don't get that much time to just sit and listen to my music and when I do I go for the vinyl so the Fusion just wasn't getting used at all.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

A little off topic, I think, but at the moment I'm quite liking the CD format for digital music - you get the same quality as most download usually for less cash and, once you've ripped it, you have an instant backup thrown in. :D
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

For me, the most attractive quality about CD's is how cheap they are 2nd hand now. I'm still working my way through all the CD's I bought last summer.

I suppose you have a nice choice with CD's. Either buy a good 2nd hand CD player, or go down the computer audio route with a decent DAC and a couple of TB's of backed-up disk storage.

Ninanina
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ninanina »

Well I've just put back a Marantz CD63 Ki into the system; what a load of rubbish compared to my Meridian......least I can now sell it and put the money against another cd player

I did consider the computer route but cd's are so cheap and I like putting cd's into the player....odd i know :lol:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Ninanina wrote: I did consider the computer route but cd's are so cheap and I like putting cd's into the player....odd i know :lol:
I have a friend whose objection to a music computer was that he needed to have something in his hands - the album sleeve or cd case - when listening to music. With a TFS and a tablet, you can have the tablet in your hands using the remote for Jriver (other remotes are available). Browse the web and even post on your favorurite hi-fi fora when listening to music. :D
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Not odd at all, as I'm sure all vinyl users will know all too well, it's a "hands on" thing. 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Ninanina

Anyone had any listens to Wadia cd's? Particularly 301/302 or 830 range? Any thoughts?

Ninanina

Doc
Re: TFS
Do you manufacture these or Jason? I can't work out the tie up

Cheers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Jason makes them, I provide him with the name to sell them under. As times goes on he will get more involved with NVA and learn about the other products. PM him, I think he has a couple of bargains left.

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

Ninanina you really should consider the TFS . I've heard it a couple of times and it really is a stunning piece of gear . Properly set up it is capable of fantastic SQ and you'd have to spend an awful lot of money on a CD player to better it . I'm reliably informed by my mate who has one that Jasons after sales service is second to none and he's a really nice guy to deal with.