What Turntable

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: What Turntable

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Yep , i do now but didnt have a clue when i bought it 20 years ago .

I once read an interview with AK in which he said they were going name each turntable after an individual holocaust pink triangle wearing victim , but they couldnt because such records of identification did not exist .Not sure how that would have gone down with the buying public but I'm surprised a certain IT didnt mail him a list of fake names from Glasgow :D

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I remember reading an article somewhere where they were talking to Arthur's partner and he was deeply interested in the persecution of the Jews under the nazis and in particular gay Jews who got stick from all sides even their own. They were marked out for particular pain and anguish with a pink triangle on their clothing. Apparently he, (Arthur's partner who's name escapes me now), had researched in depth and actually had a list of names of these poor, diabolically persecuted individuals and they had thought of actually naming each individual turntable after one of these souls, which I personally think is a really nice idea but it wasn't thought to be appropriate at the time.

Ha! Beaten to it, I can't type fast enough. :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Yep , i do now but didnt have a clue when i bought it 20 years ago .

I once read an interview with AK in which he said they were going name each turntable after an individual holocaust pink triangle wearing victim , but they couldnt because such records of identification did not exist . I'm surprised a certain IT didnt mail him a list of fake names from Glasgow :D
The serial numbers of early PTs were the inmate numbers of homosexual men at concentration camps. To begin with he and his partner were campaigning and completely over the top gay, to the point it was difficult to go in their room at shows in the early days and to be friendly with them because it was so overt. I don't know what happened to his partner from then but he seems a much more sensible chap now.

My memories of PT go back to the 80's and I don't think I have heard one since. Back then I thought it better than a Linn but not on the same planet as a L-O7D. I still don't like any belt drive, they just don't do it for me. The nearest to getting over the belt problems was the Voyd.

Daniel Quinn

Late 70's and early 80's were a different world so a little over zealous campaigning was probably understandable , dont suppose any gay person in the 70's would imagine in 2012 we'd have a zealout right wing conservative prime minister who still advocated "gay marriage" , despite the bloody Dail Mail :o :think:

According to AK the vector system [ 1 motor 3 stragetically places pulleys patented ?] solves the problem, but as i said before surely its a voyd systemw without the complication of the motors .

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I don't know what it is about the PTs, I had all but given up on the whole vinyl thing then I got an Export and something clicked so when the one owner, mint battery Anni came up for sale, (at well over my budget :shhh: ), I just had to have it. :dance:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well all I can do is get technical with you. The problem with belt drive is belt compliance, and there is no way around it as a rubber belt has to be compliant. There is a very expensive way around it which is to use a cord instead of a belt, but that needs massive heavyweight construction and big motors. Some ultra expensive German turntables use this system and it does solve the problem. So the PT still has a rubber belt which still has compliance, all the extra pulleys do is change the phase (resonance) of that compliance, as when the belt goes over each pulley it will change the phase, this doesn't solve the problem and there is an argument it can make it worse. The Voyd system where those extra pulleys are powered means as long as the motors are in phase the belt resonance stays in phase. The advantage being that each small bit of belt between each motor is independent of the next one, so is shorter and so a higher frequency resonance so taking it above the usual belt drive musical problem areas such as piano.

I am afraid belt drive of what ever ilk is one enormous musical compromise. Though like most things you can get used to it, and as in the case of Linn be brainwashed into thinking it is right and anything without that warble and bounce is wrong :roll:

Daniel Quinn

yep , those direct drives with noisy resonant metal platters and an electrical sub station milimeters from those delicate moving coils are the personification of no compromise design :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I never considered any technical issues when I was searching. I have no preference at all, if the 401, SL1200 or, God help me, LP12 had done it for me that's what I'd have had.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well done Zebo...If it sounds good then it is good............. :clap:

ZEBO...... :gay-imgay: ............... :lol: :whistle:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

:lol: .....now where is that Shirley Bassey album.......