Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

Unread post by karatestu »

Copied from the speaker stands thread just to keep a record here

"Yes, hollow metal tube rings. Solid metal bar (round, square whatever) rings as well and it is higher mass.

Wood doesn't seem to ring and can be quite heavy depending on what species.

Going round the farm and tapping various things to see how they react (ring, frequency) I have it down to two or things which seem to be the best.

Wood - solid, rigid and doesn't seem to ring but can be heavy
Plastic water pipes - hollow, no ring at all, extremely light .

So, black plastic water pipes of about 20 - 30 mm diameter seem to be the best that I can come up with and are dirt cheap. Maybe they can be polished to look attractive or may require a finish adding. They are vanishingly light (super light), easier lighter than similar lengths of solid wood or solid metal. Solid metal still rings :naughty:

For the lengths I need (40 cm / 16") they don't get any chance to bend. I can insert some very small inserts in the ends that can take a bolt for fixing at the top and bottom. Instead of a square 30cm top plate, I can use a + (plus) shape to link all the four uprights and keep it stable. That will keep it light and less material to ring (depending on what I use). The support at the top will have to be slightly different as a + (plus) shape will interfere with the down firing mid bass."
DIY FREE ZONE

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

This has been an epic journey to follow... This came to mind reading the latest post. 1. Cut 4 discs from something like MDF that are a snug fit inside the plastic tubes. 2. Fix the discs underneath each enclosure in the corners. 3. Then fix the tubes to the discs using screws through their sides. 4. You don't need a top plate :).
These users thanked the author OrangeFixie for the post:
karatestu (Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:00 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

OrangeFixie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 pm This has been an epic journey to follow... This came to mind reading the latest post. 1. Cut 4 discs from something like MDF that are a snug fit inside the plastic tubes. 2. Fix the discs underneath each enclosure in the corners. 3. Then fix the tubes to the discs using screws through their sides. 4. You don't need a top plate :).
Excellent idea thanks :grin: I had come up with a similar idea but it entailed using metal inserts glued into the inside of the plastic pipes. I would drill them a put a thread inside the hole. They could then be bolted on from inside the enclosure. In fact using your idea the wooden inserts could be glued inside the pipe and avoid using screws.

I flitter from one idea to another. :roll:

I had another idea of using round pine dowel which you can get up to 50 mm diameter and have a length from the top of the speaker to the floor (just like furniture for example). If a quarter of the wood could be removed for the depth of the speaker cabinet then the rest to the floor could be left fully round .

A bit like this but with the inner quadrant totally removed.

DIY FREE ZONE

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

Ikea sell tubular metal table legs that bolt onto fixings screwed underneath the table. Maybe 50mm diameter? Ringing metal but easy to cut to length and use. I like the idea of round section wooden legs with quadrants cut out of them but would hate to have to do it...
These users thanked the author OrangeFixie for the post:
karatestu (Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:15 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Yes, cutting a quadrant out of a round pole would be a challenge but I thought of ways to do it with the tools I have available.

My polystone planters arrived with the snow today. I haven't had a look yet but I wasn't impressed with the weight of the boxes. The big reveal will be tomorrow morning sometime :dance:

Anyway, the weekend has arrived early :guiness; :guiness; :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Polystone planters are crap. They aren't even square and the finish is discoloured in places. Not even acceptable as planters, very disappointing. They are going back :roll:

Talking to my wife has narrowed options down for me. She would like them in 100 % wood. Well, I am not really bothered to be honest so wood it is. Now I just need to decide what type of wood :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Searching the internet for speakers with integral stands I came across these interesting looking things. :shock:

Grimm Audio LS1a
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:05 pm Polystone planters are crap. They aren't even square and the finish is discoloured in places. Not even acceptable as planters, very disappointing. They are going back :roll:

Talking to my wife has narrowed options down for me. She would like them in 100 % wood. Well, I am not really bothered to be honest so wood it is. Now I just need to decide what type of wood :lol:
Most seem to be made from American oak, but I'm not sure if that is because it is 'ideal' for purpose, or because it is widely available and not expensive. I'd be tempted to try birch ply, or build a prototype in pine.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:35 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:16 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:05 pm Polystone planters are crap. They aren't even square and the finish is discoloured in places. Not even acceptable as planters, very disappointing. They are going back :roll:

Most seem to be made from American oak, but I'm not sure if that is because it is 'ideal' for purpose, or because it is widely available and not expensive. I'd be tempted to try birch ply, or build a prototype in pine.
I have built enough prototypes to last me a lifetime :lol: Birch ply is top of the list.

I am leaning towards making the legs for the speaker integral - 4 timber legs (with means to level) which run all the way from the floor to the top of the cubic mid bass cabinet. I was thinking of making it so the top of these legs actually form the corners of the cabinet if that makes sense .
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 pm I was thinking of making it so the top of these legs actually form the corners of the cabinet if that makes sense .
It does...you will have made a floorstander!
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/