Nearfield speakers

All general audio posts go here.
brit-pop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nearfield speakers

Unread post by brit-pop »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Its your project I can just advice. I would keep the tweeter, do the crossover mods and plating and either dope the existing bassmids or better still get the Cube doped kevlar drivers as listed in the DIY thread. Hardwiring will be a pain with NVA cable, so stick to plugs and sockets.
Thanks for that, is it £45 for the doped kevlar drivers? I wasn't thinking of spending that much on the whole project but I expect it might be worth it...

I'll add the steel plate and fix the plugs then give them a listen.

Lordie82360now
Great Britain

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

ImageImageImageImageImage

JPW ML510 mod (part 2) - with smaller photo's!

Metalwork, courtesy of Screwfix, was glued and bent around the crossover and throughout the inside of the cabinet. 2mm plates were applied overlapping to build up a total thickness of around 6mm throughout. It took a few days for each layer of glue to dry and as the photos show its not a pretty sight inside!
L shaped brackets were applied to the corners on top of the plates aka fretless as I wanted a uniform plate finish with the brackets supporting the structure at the corners.

The front panel and the speaker socket area were masked and the body lightly sanded with wet and dry paper to make a key for the spray paint - one coat of primer then three coats of satin black applied to build up the surface. Manufacturer rear sticker moved to above the speaker socket over what would have been the port, serial number sticker re-applied and JPW badge re applied to the front of the cabinet (one had broken off previously).
A few small defects, but generally a decent finish - see photos.

Original tweeters and new bass mid units attached and jumper cables added to the bi wire speaker sockets - no idea what happened to the original clips and bingo!
Have done nothing to the tatty grilles as I won’t use them.

Tried them initially in a small system which powers our flat screen TV (internal speakers incredibly naff) and what a difference from the Fatman mini speakers that had been doing the job previously.
No distortion or bass boom on movies and voices much clearer - even the Southern drawl on “Justified” which is a test to decipher at the best of times was marginally more understandable!

Pretty chuffed so far for a total outlay of only £43.50 (I mistakenly bought two pairs of new bass mid drivers so the fitted units only cost £15 for the pair - the other pair were sent back for a refund). They are so solid being about 6.5kgs each in weight. I can’t believe how light my DR1’s are in comparison.
The acid test was when I hooked them up to my main system and listened to some favourite tracks including some Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and the Marchant Brothers. For me electronic soundscapes test a system to the extreme at both the highest and lowest registers - although my aged lugs have lost much at the higher end.

After initial listening I can conclude that the bass is tighter (just like with the TV) and the soundstage seemed to be wider than before. The treble seems more controlled without the peaks at high volume that I am used too and what seem to my ears a more enjoyable sound. I find it difficult to use superlatives to describe the results - the sound just seems to be better after an A/B comparison both with the LM1’s before the re incarnation and my DR1’s.
Because of the extra weight of each speaker I might have to consider some sturdier stands as my present ones have only three point floor contact and I think only a slight nudge will overbalance the JPW’s. However, I’ll be keeping them in situ for more listening over the next few days

In conclusion a positive experiment with positive results with little outlay - got to be good!
I have little knowledge of electronics and will steer clear of fiddling with the crossover, wiring and doping, but my diy skills are not bad and they look and sound good which was the aim of the project. Any further improvements are for other people to consider.
An enjoyable little project - reminds me when I bitumen sound panelled a Fons CQ30 turntable back in the day!

What next?
Last edited by Lordie82360now on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Squeezebox touch EDO,Crucial external USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Anyone know why JPW fitted biwire terminals on their speakers,and then bridged them on the inside,my ML310's are the same.
No wonder no one could tell the difference ,must have been a cunning plot to sell more cable... :whistle: :lol: :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Can you do something about those pictures, they are fecking up my computer.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

2 fukin big........Fuk me up 2.
wtf

Lordie82360now
Great Britain

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

Deleted to save a lot of hassle - didn't seem to want to let me reduce them in imageshack.
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Squeezebox touch EDO,Crucial external USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They save your original size, you have to reduce them on your computer before sending them. Terry or Slinger or someone here will point you the right way.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

You can set imageshack to upload at a specific size/resolution.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Fretless
Netherlands

When you click 'Upload' on imageshack there is an option 'Resize to', I use medium (640x480 or so). Should work fine.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Fretless
Netherlands

Nice write-up, Lordie. All the Doc Mod projects seem to experience similar improvements in performance. And you are obviously contented with your work. :clap: :dance: :clap:

Now get those pics back up 'cos I missed 'em. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl