My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I don't worry I wish you were, but it is not all theory and simplicity like so many forum members think. Good power supplies are a black art.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

So do I . I just cant get my head around electricity , I start reading and it just doesn't sink in . Its a strange phenomena .

p.s - I'm sure there is a market for TT power supply :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There is market on my time as well and at the moment my delivery is out past a month, so no holidays until I catch up :(

Daniel Quinn

:violin: :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Daniel Quinn

okay , i feel a bit of dick now. :oops: ive dismantled the tt and moved the motor further along the subchasis, thus tightening the belt . running the motor and platter on just the subchasis [ie not suspended from the pt plinth] and its runnin like a dream , little or no fluctuation for the past 3 hours ,

it does mean ive got to cut a bigger hole in the carbon fibre top plate , subject to my thumb not being cut off it should be sorted now and i can move back to the speakers. :dance:

ps - doc the ortofon is safeky locked in a benz box which is bullett proof :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its only worth £20 or £30 squids, so no big problem. The problem is always with expensive moving coils where new stylus is about the cost of new cart.

Daniel Quinn

Well my dc power supply [ see linky above ] is now working like a metronomic dream, 2.86 volts and it runs at perfect 33.3 with no fluctuation [ on my laser chronograph anyway which is accurate to 1 decimal point ] It starts and gets up to speed in seconds , which is another source of embarrassment as the previous slow start should have altered me to fact that my mods had pushed the motor to close to the bearing MUCH MUCH sooner , It was a case of two many simultaneous mods clouding the picture.

subjectively , it as made me enjoy the ortofon even more , though that could be my fading memory of the Benz :D , seriously on a subjective level, despite the DD mafia , a belt drive has never bothered and all this speed instability was never a issue as I couldnt really here it during normal play [ when running correctly ] the only time I noticed it was when the end of song had a sustained note till the song ended or faded to silence [ c.f. deacon blue 1st album , tracey chapman 1st albumn , fleetwood mac rumours - from memory] you could hear the sustained note waiver . Even this is now not noticable , but i put this down largely to the maxon motor , which as mentioned previously appears to the same one Linn use in the radikal . but for £50 the power supply is begining to look like a billy bargain .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If that power supply had the Linn name on it it would be over £1000.

Daniel Quinn

Well my day off to modify my speakers was a bit of a disaster . Whilst I still have two thumbs things did not go to plan. Upon removing the drive units and plastic port , I discovered that the speaker apertures were not wide enough for me to cut out the centre partition of the floorstanding mdf carcass or the centre brace . This meant my carbon fibre and/or steel plate wound not fit . :doh:

So what does the most impatient man on earth do when he only as one day of work , he hunts round the shed and the garage to see if there is anything which would fit and fit in to the category of mass damping . Well I found some little stone floor tiles approx 8 inches by 3 and very heavy , these fitted the partition sections of the box nearly perfectly . Of course I couldn’t open up the whole box and increase the internal volume , but I could line the upper speaker section with them and this I did .
I also fitted a top to bottom piece of bracing and two side to side braces and of course the tiles made them proper infinite baffle as opposed to before when i shoved a sock in the port . And I removed the metal grill from over the tweeter

First impressions as it has improved the bass , bass lines on genesis 3 side lives , turn it on again , are better and the whole sound is punchier with less bloom , However I think it may have upset the ever so slightly the treble balance ,but Im not sure , need to have some extended listening , by the time i’d finished only listend to 1 bloody record and children came home .
Anyway save for changing the resistor on the treble , I have taken these speakers as far as I can and in my small room I enjoy them and listen to them , which is why am reluctant to dope them as these seems to be irreversible .

This is something I couldn’t have envisaged when i stared this thread in antithesis to Jerrys “my hifi is bloody wonderful despite the fact i change a component a week and seem to have contradictory opinions”

I still don’t get the soundstage I used to get , but I am 70% sure this is because of the room , but the sound is punchy and musical and is out of the box which is wasn’t before the docs mods and ive still got my new cartridge to come eventually .

After that the search is on for better and in this room I don’t know if that will be possible , but we will see.