My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think you always need to keep a back up in the draw, I have no confidence you will not try to clean the stylus with your twin set on again :mrgreen:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Ive given up wearing my twin set now and the ortofon remains in tact .

However my temporary power supply is unsatisfactory so in my continued effort to investigate dc power supplies without spending an inexplicable fortune on a so called turntable power supply which I am unable to appreciate how they cost so much , I have today purchased one of these .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321141092122? ... 1439.l2649

No idea if it will work , but my limited technical knowledge says there is no reason why it should not .

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Dan - Why o Why continue - Tiz sheer folly man - Get a Techie and rejoice..... :shifty:
You want a fast car buy a Lamborgini - you want a reliable car buy a Honda......... :lol:

Daniel Quinn

No no Jammy , playing with it is part of the fun , though I am now getting a little pissed with speed issues and hopefully this will work . :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You are just looking at voltage, you need stiffness and regulation as well.

Daniel Quinn

Eh , I presume by stiffness you mean , distance between platter , belt and motor . As it happens this as just occurred to me as I recently changed the pulley and it is smaller :doh:

but what is regulation ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Electrical stiffness - electrical regulation.

Poor power line voltage regulation causes lights in a home to dim each time the refrigerator starts. Similarly, if a change in the current from a power supply causes the voltage to vary, the power supply has poor voltage regulation. Most electronic equipment will perform best when it is supplied from a nearly constant voltage source. An uncertain supply voltage can result in poor circuit performance.

Analysis of a typical power supply's performance is simplified by modeling it as a constant-voltage source in series with an internal resistance. The internal resistance is used to explain changes in the terminal voltage when the current in a circuit varies. The lower the internal resistance of a given power supply, the more current it can supply while maintaining a nearly-constant terminal voltage. An ideal supply for circuits requiring an unvarying voltage with changing load current, would have an internal resistance near zero. A power supply with a very-low internal resistance is sometimes called a "stiff" power supply.

Daniel Quinn

I only need 3.44 v dc output and I measured it with my meter and it doesn't vary over time , it as a current variation button from 0-2 amps and it says it is an accurate and stable DC power . The specs do not list internal resistance alas . Bugger , Day off on Friday to play with it , so we will see . :pray:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

How many times do I have to tell you specs are meaningless, all you can measure is voltage unless you have a 'scope and even then the information given you is gross as all you can see is what the circuit does under gross and simplistic resistive and reactive loads. There is no effective way to measure stiffness or regulation, the circuit has it or not. Both are a bi-product of high VA but that is not the only thing effecting it.

Anyway I am not teaching people how to build power supplies.

Daniel Quinn

Don't worry doc , I no further nearer building my own power supply :lol: