What is better?

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: What is better?

Post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:59 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:57 pm Best component is no component :grin:
That is cobblers Stu. :lol: , If taken to it's logical conclusion then you end up with no components, and no amplifier.

If you mean the fewer the components - the better the amp, then that is debatable. :)
If taken to it's most facetious conclusion... then you end up with no amplifier.

The components omitted by NVA are those that seek to treat the symptoms of either environment (which you have to fix for yourself) or (lack of) user intelligence / convenience. The best sounding 'real world' amps I've heard - NVA and Single Ended Triodes - have all been simple circuits, but all requiring some level of compromise / intelligence from the user.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:06 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Post by Lindsayt »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:09 pm
That is cobblers Stu. :lol: , If taken to it's logical conclusion then you end up with no components, and no amplifier.

If you mean the fewer the components - the better the amp, then that is debatable. :)
If taken to it's most facetious conclusion... then you end up with no amplifier.

The components omitted by NVA are those that seek to treat the symptoms of either environment (which you have to fix for yourself) or (lack of) user intelligence / convenience. The best sounding 'real world' amps I've heard - NVA and Single Ended Triodes - have all been simple circuits, but all requiring some level of compromise / intelligence from the user.
When I've experimented with no pre-amp it has made my system sound better. But this can only be done with a low gain power amp. And you're left with a volume level that's determined by how Loudness Wars the recording is.

I'd love to experiment with driving my most efficient speakers direct from my sources. I've been scared to do it so far, for fear of sucking too much current from them.

I'd say there's more of a correlation between simple amplification signal paths and sound quality than there is between amplification cost and sound quality.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:19 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Post by karatestu »

Why thank you Philip. I have always known that I talk cobblers but sometimes it is good to have agreement from others :grin:

To illustrate what I mean I did a few modifications to my Avondale amp boards a few years ago. Removed the input stage coupling cap - wow that was a good improvement. Removed the zobel at tte output (cap and resistor to ground ) - not as big a wow as the input cap removal but every little helps. Removed the thiele network on the output ( coil and parallel damping resistor in series with signal) - holy moly, that was good.

These components are said to be inaudible by many. I say they are deaf. I learned a lot removing components from my system. Oops I can't say that - Lurcher will be along since to tell me I haven't learned anything :roll: It never fails to improve transparency IMO. I have no measurements to prove what I am saying so you will just have to take my word for it :grin:

Other notable removals have been the whole anologue output stage from my CD player. A seven pole bessel filter with 6 opamps and countless caps and resistors. Took out the output relay as well. The signal was strangled going through that lot and thanked me when I relieved it of such constraints. Luckily the dac chip enabled this in my case - don't try that at home.

It never ceases to amaze me how much non essential bollox is included in commercial offerings. Relays for this and that, even one to delay when you wipe your arse in case another floater emerges. I fixed a Cambridge Audio integrated for a friend. I told him half the stuff in there could be thrown in the bin and it would sound better.

Active preamp - no thanks. Who needs a volume control or source selector ? IMO they are evil. Switches should only be included when it is absolutely necessary. Speaker crossovers - no thanks you can keep them. Speaker enclosures- not required :grin:

Anything that brings more transparency is a good thing in my book and adding more components nefer does that ime. I know what real music sounds like and that's what I want. I have played more gigs than many have had hot dinners and nothing compares. Hifi is a necessity but if I could get rid I would be very pleased. Like in the olden days when everybody deed - the ultimate way is the simple way, make the music yourself and revel in the transparency :guiness;

Why hasn't anyone invented a piece of wire with gain yet ? I thought Mr Quad was on the case :think: Disappointed of North Yorkrshire.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 5):
Lindsayt (Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:19 am) • savvypaul (Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:51 am) • Ithilstone (Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:21 pm) • CN211276 (Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:57 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:10 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
Wales

Post by CN211276 »

I have found that less is more by using the direct input on my NVA pre amps and recently by removing the DC blocker from the BMU. However where the digital source is concerned I have discovered that less is not more, but that is a different matter. :grin:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Black

RIP Doc