New £1k Phono Stage - recommendations

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: New £1k Phono Stage - recommendations

Unread post by Lindsayt »

This thread reminds me of the phrase:

Buy right, buy once.

You bought right when you bought the Phono 2. There's no need to buy again.

Would it help if you bought or made something to help with the cable management and the box management?

One thing about cable management is that it looks like there's fewer cables when they are managed and tidied properly. :angry-soapbox:

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

Um, I know people are only trying to be helpful but it's enormously frustrating to ask for recommendations for a new phono stage and to then have people telling me to keep what I've got or tidy the cables up. I think I've indicated in my OP that I love the Phono 2 and have implied I have no great expectations as regards a favourable outcome to the question. But I would be really grateful if anyone wished to reply that they did so to the question asked rather then the one they want to answer. I'm asking if people can suggest a different variety of apples to my normal favourite and people are suggesting I try oranges or bananas instead. Someone's going to suggest tomatoes next and we all know where that will take us...:)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Berty bass wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:21 am Um, I know people are only trying to be helpful but it's enormously frustrating to ask for recommendations for a new phono stage and to then have people telling me to keep what I've got or tidy the cables up. I think I've indicated in my OP that I love the Phono 2 and have implied I have no great expectations as regards a favourable outcome to the question. But I would be really grateful if anyone wished to reply that they did so to the question asked rather then the one they want to answer. I'm asking if people can suggest a different variety of apples to my normal favourite and people are suggesting I try oranges or bananas instead. Someone's going to suggest tomatoes next and we all know where that will take us...:)
Whilst I appreciate your frustration, and I can't suggest a phono stage for £1,000 because my entire amplification cost less than that, I do understand why you are getting these responses. It seem to me that you have the gold standard, which you acknowledge to be the case, but want something less. I understand the need to reduce the box count and the associated cabling but I also understand why there is a need for two power supplies. All I will suggest is that you hang on to what you have and audition a few others side by side.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am Whilst I appreciate your frustration, and I can't suggest a phono stage for £1,000 because my entire amplification cost less than that, I do understand why you are getting these responses. It seem to me that you have the gold standard, which you acknowledge to be the case, but want something less. I understand the need to reduce the box count and the associated cabling but I also understand why there is a need for two power supplies. All I will suggest is that you hang on to what you have and audition a few others side by side.

Not sure I would characterised the inquiry precisely like that, Geoff, but I take your point! :grin: If the answer to the question is that there is no one box solution of comparable quality/performance to my Phono 2 in the price range indicated, then that's fine.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Berty bass wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:23 am
Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am Whilst I appreciate your frustration, and I can't suggest a phono stage for £1,000 because my entire amplification cost less than that, I do understand why you are getting these responses. It seem to me that you have the gold standard, which you acknowledge to be the case, but want something less. I understand the need to reduce the box count and the associated cabling but I also understand why there is a need for two power supplies. All I will suggest is that you hang on to what you have and audition a few others side by side.

Not sure I would characterised the inquiry precisely like that, Geoff, but I take your point! :grin: If the answer to the question is that there is no one box solution of comparable quality/performance to my Phono 2 in the price range indicated, then that's fine.
Whether any specific one box phono stage is "better" than your Phono 2 only you can determine. That is of course the problem; if the people you are asking have found what they believe to be the best possible solution they aren't going to suggest something they find less good. I know that probably isn't helpful, sorry.

TroutFisher
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher »

I would echo the advise of Lindsayt. Invest your money in a better turntable to get more out of your Phono 2, but as you say, that is not the answer to the question you asked.

I would recommend the Longdog Audio MCJ3 Hybrid Valve MC Phono Stage. The builder and proprietor of Longdog Audio is member here, Lurcher300b. Slightly above your budget but very much a giant killer Phono Stage, the £1400 is excellent value for money and the sound is first class. You should be able to home demo before committing to buy.

https://www.longdogaudio.com/product/ld ... ono-stage/

Berty bass
Great Britain

TroutFisher wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:10 pm I would echo the advise of Lindsayt. Invest your money in a better turntable to get more out of your Phono 2, but as you say, that is not the answer to the question you asked.

I would recommend the Longdog Audio MCJ3 Hybrid Valve MC Phono Stage. The builder and proprietor of Longdog Audio is member here, Lurcher300b. Slightly above your budget but very much a giant killer Phono Stage, the £1400 is excellent value for money and the sound is first class. You should be able to home demo before committing to buy.

https://www.longdogaudio.com/product/ld ... ono-stage/
Now thank you for that - I have read very favourable comments about the Long Dog before. I could stretch the budget at a push if the equipment justified it.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Nick certainly knows what he is doing and he makes good phono stages. Different to the NVA way, of course. Make sure to hear them side by side, for yourself.

If you want a 'one box' turntable to go with it, one of Vinyl-Ant's modded Lencos is easily the best you can get at the price, imo.

I had a Rega 6 for around 6 months. It's not in the same league as a replinthed Lenco, to my ears.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Have a look on the forums. It seems everyone makes thier own world beater phono stage.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:45 pm Have a look on the forums. It seems everyone makes thier own world beater phono stage.
Dangerous. I already had my experience with one of those.