Fora Personalities whose advise is best avoided

All general audio posts go here.
joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fora Personalities whose advise is best avoided

Unread post by joe »

Actually, the only useful advice that can be given from a subjectivist, consumer point of view is 'try it yourself'. It might be (but probably isn't) the case that someone is using similar equipment in a similar room to yours; even then they may have different tastes in music, better/worse hearing etc etc. More likely they will be using equipment that's very different to what you're using, so any improvement you hear may be the reverse for them, or may be inaudible.

As for the terms in which improvements are described, I actually find the 'musical' examples just as unhelpful as the non-musical ones. For example, as I have not listened to Genesis for 40 years or so, and have no intention of ever listening to them again, telling me that Peter Gabriel's voice or Phil Collins' drumming sound 'better' tells me nothing useful.

I'm relaxed about people giving their opinions, however useless their opinions might be to me. Someone else might find them extremely helpful. What I do find amusing are the multiple Damascene conversions of some people, which coincidentally call to mind Hazlitt's remarks about self-educated people who are in his opinion: 'everlasting converts to every crude suggestion that presents itself, and the last opinion is always the true one. Each discovery flashes upon them with equal light and evidence, and every new fact overturns their whole system'.

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I doubt anyone here would include you in this bunch of nob heads Macca.
Only he can read insults in posts that are not even there. :lol:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

joe wrote:I have not listened to Genesis for 40 years or so, and have no intention of ever listening to them again...
:clap: :guiness;
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

joe wrote:Actually, the only useful advice that can be given from a subjectivist, consumer point of view is 'try it yourself'. It might be (but probably isn't) the case that someone is using similar equipment in a similar room to yours; even then they may have different tastes in music, better/worse hearing etc etc. More likely they will be using equipment that's very different to what you're using, so any improvement you hear may be the reverse for them, or may be inaudible.

As for the terms in which improvements are described, I actually find the 'musical' examples just as unhelpful as the non-musical ones. For example, as I have not listened to Genesis for 40 years or so, and have no intention of ever listening to them again, telling me that Peter Gabriel's voice or Phil Collins' drumming sound 'better' tells me nothing useful.

I'm relaxed about people giving their opinions, however useless their opinions might be to me. Someone else might find them extremely helpful. What I do find amusing are the multiple Damascene conversions of some people, which coincidentally call to mind Hazlitt's remarks about self-educated people who are in his opinion: 'everlasting converts to every crude suggestion that presents itself, and the last opinion is always the true one. Each discovery flashes upon them with equal light and evidence, and every new fact overturns their whole system'.
+1
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

joe wrote:Actually, the only useful advice that can be given from a subjectivist, consumer point of view is 'try it yourself'. It might be (but probably isn't) the case that someone is using similar equipment in a similar room to yours; even then they may have different tastes in music, better/worse hearing etc etc. More likely they will be using equipment that's very different to what you're using, so any improvement you hear may be the reverse for them, or may be inaudible.

As usual you miss the whole point and argue simply for the sake of it . The purpose of forum's is to enlighten and entertain. My hifi is vastly superior to what it would have been had forums not existed , the trick is to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

I would dispute your comments that follow on from you not have listened to genesis for 40 years as they are ridiculous . The point is not so you understand the difference in sound , that is not possible unless you hear it yourself , the point is to understand why the person telling me he thinks a £90 fuse thinks his hifi is better . It is a lot harder to bullshit or concretise what you think as changed if you are required to make it specific .

And so .

Joe - Contrary codger ,who as not bought a new piece of hifi since the seventies , offers no actual opinions on hifi , but he thinks his pithy comments highlight profound internal contradictions in the post he is sarcastically attempting to rebut . Harmless and often amusing .

joe

Unread post by joe »

Apart from being factually incorrect, that description of me would seem to fall foul of the ad hominem rule.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I hate the fact that as a newcomer I can't tell the difference between a bit of "banter" and something darker.

It's getting tiring trying to tiptoe through the minefield when all I want to do is have a bit of a chat about HiFi related matters.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

joe wrote:Apart from being factually incorrect, that description of me would seem to fall foul of the ad hominem rule.
which bit , excepting the seventies comment is clearly an exaggeration .

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

CycleCoach wrote:I hate the fact that as a newcomer I can't tell the difference between a bit of "banter" and something darker.

It's getting tiring trying to tiptoe through the minefield when all I want to do is have a bit of a chat about HiFi related matters.
Just avoid any topics in EOTW. Thaar be monsters! :scared-eek:

Edit: and that is where this thread should be.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Just in case anyone wondered, this is DQ's opinion, not a mission statement for this forum. :lol:

Also, for anyone who missed it, he's just accused someone else of arguing for the sake of it. :mrgreen:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X