Raspberry Pi Power supply

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Raspberry Pi Power supply

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Time to do it properly, stop messing with half measure. The bit of Pie build into Phono2 box and a PSU powering it, One phase of the PSU powering the Pie and the other powering the DAC. Come down for a day and bring it with you, we mod / build it together, you go back with working one. Then do one for me and we will call it even.

Why do you need stepped attenuator, just run it into the preamp at line level.

Lazmo
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I could do a PSU for anything that has these daft wallmarts
Wallmarts ? are Asda supplying these now :o :lol: :lol: some good links there terry i have some reading to do :geek: i collected all the parts well most of them to do the build on the first link supplied called ( half way down the page )
A standalone streaming media device based on Raspberry Pi and HiFiBerry DAC.
Then completely ran out of leisure time looking after a parent i got as far as just putting my units in the open plastic cases ( i have the hifiberry and the IQaudio versions ) trying them out and and that was it now i have more time i am looking to further this project.
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Time to do it properly, stop messing with half measure. The bit of Pie build into Phono2 box and a PSU powering it, One phase of the PSU powering the Pie and the other powering the DAC. Come down for a day and bring it with you, we mod / build it together, you go back with working one. Then do one for me and we will call it even.

Why do you need stepped attenuator, just run it into the preamp at line level.
There's a few more interfaces I'd need to present through the phono2 box - the ethernet connection at least. And the lid would need to be removable (to get at the SSD card). I would need to do some research to find out what pins need to be connected to provide power to the Pi (we would go through GPIO header) and what needs to be connected between the Pi and the DAC board.

No I don't need a stepped attenuator. That's another project.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You work it out and tell when you are ready.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:You work it out and tell when you are ready.
Sounds like a plan.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Doc, is the Phono 2 box predrilled for the various connectors or is there just a solid bit of acrylic to drill hoes into.

And would you put the cables with the XLRs through the wall of the box or put XLR connectors on the box itself.?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Look at the back of your Phono2 and PSU, that is the way it is. I can also drill new round holes but nothing square or rectangular like a USB.

terrybooth
Great Britain

DSC00711.JPG
DSC00711.JPG (5.25 MiB) Viewed 1721 times
Ok. Looks like there plenty of room in the box :grin:

I think my next step is to split the Pi ( the board on the bottom with the yellow socket) from the dac board (top with the red and white socket) and figure out what pins I need to connect between the PI and the Dac board for the data interface (three I think) and what pins I need to connect power to on the dac (bodge a wall wart power supply) and see if I can get it running.

For my application I'd need to reuse one of the input socket holes to provide an RJ45 ethernet connection. For your application, I think we'd need to find a way of powering a USB disk (not enough power from the Pi to do that) which may mean putting a USB connector on the back - the trick will be to find a way to provide power (+5v) to it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You have to leave room for PSU caps as I always put them in the unit the power is being sent to as well as the PSU, and a regulator pcb (about half the size of the Pie.

Name - Pie Music Box or Musical Pie :lol:

setting son
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by setting son »

Thanks for your hospitality the other night, Terry. Your system sounds stunning once a little adjustment to the 'honesty' of it is made. The Cubix do things that I've heard from no other speaker.

If you both need any help with the Pi project just let me know, I have done a few projects of boxing Pi's/DAC's with improved PSU's now including adding some hardware and associated coding* for control. Separating PSU's for the Pi and a 'plug on' DAC boards isn't as straight forward as it might seem (even if you locate it separately and not plug it on)

* Darren takes care of the coding.