Who likes big dual concentric Tannoys

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Who likes big dual concentric Tannoys

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I would prefer to have your Akai's. The man doesn't need you to defend him all the time ;) and you rightly made criticism of his speakers which for some reason now you don't acknowledge. Do you really like home PA systems, pity as you seem to respond well to musical differences, but a PA / Studio monitor is artificial, but lots of musso's think it is right as they only listen to themselves amplified. It is not right, a system should not impose a character.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There are many other speakers far worse than big Tannoys, it is just the hype and bullshit around them on the forums I feel needs a little balance. They are not the be all and end all of speaker design the way *some people* portray them as, they are severely flawed in some musical aspects.

The argument will be made that they are right because lots of studios used them, well that is just as silly an argument as saying LS3/5A are best because the BBC used them. WRONG they are tools to do a job in both cases, so it is like saying a screwdriver is better than a hammer, for the *professional* who is using them. That does not relate or translate to home hi-fi.

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

I'm not defending anyone. You asked for opinion on Tannoy DC, I've heard a fair few belonging to all sorts of people, some of whom I know some of whom I don't. Like any speaker they are flawed, I don't think they are unacceptably flawed although I appreciate they will not be to everyone's taste. You can get them to sound like a PA system, definately, but they don't have to sound like a PA system, it depends on the partnering equipment. They draw their compromises pretty well. Marco's set up did not sound like a PA system at all. Really the only flaw with that system, if it could be said to be a flaw, is that the room is sub-optimal.

To an extent stil prefer the Akais because they do that electrostatic-style dissapearing act but then you are trading off bass extension against that. I'd definately consider 15'' Tannoys as a final speaker if I can't get the JBLs I'm after since my room would be absolutely perfect for them.

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not me, they are overrated, coloured, non musically informative, too beamy, and often in yer face or inversely mushy and uninformative, depending on the cabinet - but they never sound right.
Bloody hell, RD, spot on !!! :clap:
It's the coloured grainy mids that put me off big time. I hate that with a passion! Fatally flawed and unlistenable, imo.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

1st dibs on the Akais then please Macca :grin:

I want something good and from that era as part of my future test rig in the new house as alternative and so I don't get totally reliant on the Cubes presentation. I can assure you they wont be Tannoys :guiness;

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

You can have first dibs - find me some big JBLs and you can have them even faster ;)

Jerry I get that you don't like Tannoys, fair enough, but to describe them as 'unlistenable' is ridiculous. You must have heard some really shonky ones. Incidentally whilst I was at Marcos I was trying desperately to hear that midrange colouration that you keep on about and I really couldn't detect it at all. That's not to say I wouldn't hear it if you were sat there and pointed it out to me, but even if it does exist it is not that bad that it ruins the speakers.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:1st dibs on the Akais then please Macca :grin:

I want something good and from that era as part of my future test rig in the new house as alternative and so I don't get totally reliant on the Cubes presentation. I can assure you they wont be Tannoys :guiness;
Where will the ML-110 speakers go? Give them to Nadia?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

jandl100

Macca wrote:Jerry I get that you don't like Tannoys, fair enough, but to describe them as 'unlistenable' is ridiculous.
Not ridiculous at all - I think they are genuinely awful. I'd rather listen to a tranny radio.

I've heard lots of Tannoys, including Tom / montesque's fancy ones and ....
Macca wrote:You must have heard some really shonky ones.
Yep, Marco's at Scalford - appallingly coloured grainy mids! - quite possibly the worst Tannoys I have heard in that regard. What they did to orchestral strings really should not be allowed! :naughty: It must count as a war crime and be against the Geneva Convention. :lol:
Sure, they did other things very well, though - astonishing dynamics and power. But I wouldn't have them for all the tea in China.

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Fight, Fight Fight!!

:epop: :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

jandl100

It's a personal thing - every speaker has flaws, but there's just something about the flaws in Tannoy DC speakers that I find hugely irritating. They must hit a resonance with my nervous system. :-? :mrgreen:

But, hey, lots of folks love them. It takes all sorts, don't it.