Ripping, Storing, Playing CD collection - ideas...

All general audio posts go here.
Keithh
Has thanked: 0
Wales

Re: Ripping, Storing, Playing CD collection - ideas...

Unread post by Keithh »

I use a bought Vortexbox server alongside a squeezebox touch which I am very happy with. The vortexbox automatically rips cds to Flac lossless and you can use Bliss with it but I just another networked PC to sort out cover artwork etc. There is also the option of using an old low spec pc and installing Vortexbox on it - it is a free linux install. It has passed the significant other test, the box being about the size of my P50 pre-amp and running without a fan.
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

I absolutely hate and detest PCs and anything that vaguely resembles a computer. I get rage just thinking about the things. Complete PITA.

I am still speechless that no decent stand alone units exist which play and rip CDS and have a built in hard drive with network capability. All this faff with downloading software, bigs, fixes, tinkering goes completely against the grain and would put me in no mood to enjoy music.

Yeah, there's things like the Brennan, but it has a built in amp that won't cut it and the thing isn't too great anyway. Naim make you buy two boxes and charge about five times more than they ought to.

Until something that is as user friendly as a CD player comes out, I 'll not put any more money or effort into Digital audio. Am I asking too much?

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Shevans wrote:Bliss comes with 100 fixes, once you have set the prefs it goes off and makes changes i.e. Reduce artwork dimension or file size. You can imbedd or remove imbeded artwork along with enforcing singular artwork. Bliss often looks like nothing is happening but it gets there in the end.

ITunes holds its artwork in a seperate folder/database, most other muisc players use either imbedded artwork or a folder.jpg or similar in each album. This can show as missing artwork when used outside iTunes.
Aha, well that won't worry me. There is no reason for me to use them outside iTunes. Music for me is sitting listening. I have no wish to indulge in mobile anything and rather like concentrating on what I am doing. Probably 'cos I'm old :cry:

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Andrew wrote:I absolutely hate and detest PCs and anything that vaguely resembles a computer. I get rage just thinking about the things. Complete PITA.

I am still speechless that no decent stand alone units exist which play and rip CDS and have a built in hard drive with network capability. All this faff with downloading software, bigs, fixes, tinkering goes completely against the grain and would put me in no mood to enjoy music.

Yeah, there's things like the Brennan, but it has a built in amp that won't cut it and the thing isn't too great anyway. Naim make you buy two boxes and charge about five times more than they ought to.

Until something that is as user friendly as a CD player comes out, I 'll not put any more money or effort into Digital audio. Am I asking too much?
Welcome to the modern world Andrew :D

I have twelve Macs now so can't claim to be anything but a fan. I have had the advantage of owning one since they first came out so its as easy and natural to me as walking or talking. Really, really easy to use. I've even been known to get by on a PC :shock:

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Once you have "ripped" your CD's the Sonos system is one of the simplest to use. There are companies who can even rip your CD's and load them onto a NAS.

There is an online streaming service due to launch in the UK next month called Qobuz which can stream at CD quality or even higher, so in the future there will be no need to rip and store locally. This way there is no need to rip, tag, artwork or even store music at home or the need for a PC or NAS.

P.S. My first Apple was in 1977, the Apple II

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Shevans wrote: P.S. My first Apple was in 1977, the Apple II
Cripes. A bit hair shirt for me. I'm just a consumer and want white goods that just do what I want without any sodding about. I saw the Mac+ after playing with some DOS machines and it was just a different world back in 1985. Never looked back. Used PCs at work but didn't suit me after getting used to MacOs.

I've now hooked up a G5 Mac to the main system and listen occasionally when I'm on the bike machine or the weights. Handy if I don't want a serious listening session. Sounds pretty good actually although I have yet to sit down and concentrate.

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

I agree with gus I've used Mac's from day one I was lucky we where looking to start selling computers and we had a couple of Dos machine and an Apple I got to use one Dos PC and the Apple and we all agreed that the Apple was much better than the PC's from a user's piont of view. I think that was about 1987 and I have never had to use a PC.
I now sell, support and repair Apple computers and never looked back
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Why do they have to be such rip-off prices compared with PCs when they do the same job and contain basically the same components, and are made in the same factories (or similar) in China. Why can you get a good PC for under £500 and yet the cheapest Mac is over £1000.

Personally I just can't justify that difference in price just for the snob appeal of owning a Mac. And anyway I don't want a white computer.

This is not a challenge to the Mac owners as I have never owned one, it might be better, but would I know it. I doubt it I am such a computer numpty.

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

They tend to be better built the operating system started the windows type GUI which Microsoft has tried to copy many time's they work straight out of the box no major virus problems yet. You either like them or not if you buy clever you can often sell you old mac and get a large chunk of your investment back and if you are lucky enough to be able to claim your VAT back then when you sell your two year old Mac on say ebay you can often get all you money back.

Oh I forgot to mention they arn't white anymore they are silver as they are built out of aluminium
Last edited by applemarc on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Why do they have to be such rip-off prices compared with PCs when they do the same job and contain basically the same components, and are made in the same factories (or similar) in China. Why can you get a good PC for under £500 and yet the cheapest Mac is over £1000.

Personally I just can't justify that difference in price just for the snob appeal of owning a Mac. And anyway I don't want a white computer.

This is not a challenge to the Mac owners as I have never owned one, it might be better, but would I know it. I doubt it I am such a computer numpty.
A Nissan does the same job as a Ferrari and a NVA amp does the same job as the lowliest Bush - in theory. But they do it little differently. Same with dishwashers, washing machines and TVs, anything.

Its taken 30 years for the PC to get anywhere near the Mac for user friendliness. I've played with some tablets recently and the way the iPad looks and feels and works is still a cut above the Google lot. If I wanted one, I would pay the extra. As in all things, I would rather have a few quality items in my life than having one of everything and putting up with tat. I guess the £1 shops show that not everyone feels the same way.