Rega Ela.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rega Ela.

Unread post by jammy395 »

Shane just buy em eh..... :lol:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Posting Elas is no fun, even in their original packing (which was woefully inadequate. Elas listed with no clear postage option tend to go very cheap, so you will probably get a huge bargain. From the reviews of the day, the Elas were built with a far simpler crossover than the Royds, so I'd be surprised if they are less musically satisfying. I'm still looking out for a pair of Apex to compare, but IMHO Elas are simply amongst the very best speakers out there unless you have a massive budget and an even bigger room.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A simpler crossover than the Royd would be just a capacitor. The Rega crossover is more complex as far as I know.

jammy395

Without a shadow of a doubt - Simple is best................. :geek:

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Rega opted for an elementary minimalist design whereas the Royd used a more complex, 18db/octave third order type.
Malcolm Steward Hi-Fi Review November 1989.

Rega's literature states, "The simplicity (of the crossover design) means that bi-wiring and bi-amping will offer no advantage & will often give a worse result at additional cost to the customer."
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

jammy395

Well good on Mr Rega..............Tell it the way it is............ :naughty: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

I bought my pair in late 1989. They won on the day of the demonstration and I have used them ever since. I feel my lack of experience using other loudspeakers means I can't really comment on how good they are in the scheme of things. This doesn't stop me having the sneaking feeling in my small 12 x 11 box of a listening room, I'd have to spend an awful lot of money (which I don't have) to truly better them.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

jammy395

Nigel wrote:I bought my pair in late 1989. They won on the day of the demonstration and I have used them ever since. I feel my lack of experience using other loudspeakers means I can't really comment on how good they are in the scheme of things. This doesn't stop me having the sneaking feeling in my small 12 x 11 box of a listening room, I'd have to spend an awful lot of money (which I don't have) to truly better them.
NIGEL....Your abve statement is deserving of a thread unto its self.............. :clap:

Keep it simple man - you have a wee room - SO - Size is not important - (Unless you are an AOS twat) - I have a relitively small room set aside for me in the west wing of a sprawlling manssion set in 58 acres of prime fishing /Hunting estate left for me by the Clan McRobertson......

Go for a Warfdale diamond.............. :violin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nigel wrote:Rega opted for an elementary minimalist design whereas the Royd used a more complex, 18db/octave third order type.
Malcolm Steward Hi-Fi Review November 1989.

Rega's literature states, "The simplicity (of the crossover design) means that bi-wiring and bi-amping will offer no advantage & will often give a worse result at additional cost to the customer."
Malcolm Steward was in Rega (and Linn and Naims) pocket, don't expect anything accurate from him.

The Royd crossover consists or an inductor, a capacitor and a resistor. As I said it is impossible to be simpler unless you make the bass / mid driver full range by removing the inductor, so someone is spouting porkies.

jammy395

southall-1998 wrote:Feeling tempted....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-ELA-Floo ... 7247591%26
OBVIOUSLY NOT ENOUGH.......... :think: