Source First?

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Source First?

Unread post by zebbo »

I don't know what your budget is but if you can find a first generation Tube Technology Fusion, (not so much the 64), they are superb. It was by far the best sounding CD player I ever owned and can also be used as a DAC. I sold mine just a few months ago for £600 but they are pretty rare.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Ninanina
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ninanina »

zebbo

Tube Technology Fusion is one i had in mind. I know where i can get one but they want £1,100 for it which is crazy for a make that is hardly known

What other players could you compare it too? did you ever hear any Meridians?

Cheers :mrgreen:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Better players out there for £1100 i would think...... :think:
Try this one....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-DCD-200 ... 2326a27638
Quite a few good players on ebay just now......Tempted myself......Saw a nice old school Sony somewhere.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-CDP-X707 ... 0326967%26

or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wadia-301-cd- ... 0326967%26

need to be quick though...... :doh:

The web is indeed yer Oyster.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Forget a CD player and contact Jason to see if he has any TFS left. It gives you a CD player, a computer, a media player all in one and pisses on every CD player I have heard. BUT I am told a couple of very expensive (like 3 to 4 grand jobbies that were produced in the 90's are better - ask Theo) but as I said for me it is the best source I have heard, so I use one. I now only use a cheap CD player on my test rig.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Ninanina wrote:zebbo

Tube Technology Fusion is one i had in mind. I know where i can get one but they want £1,100 for it which is crazy for a make that is hardly known

What other players could you compare it too? did you ever hear any Meridians?

Cheers :mrgreen:

Blimey, where do I start?
I only actually listened to the Fusion back-to-back,(at a dealer), with an Audio Analogue Maestro and a BOW Wizard/Wazoo or something like that! It sounded better, to me, than those by a clear margin but over the years I have tried/owned many including a few Meridians. I always found the Meridians a bit lack lustre, nothing about the sound grabbed my attention although my mate uses one and hasn't found anything to replace it. I couldn't actually afford a new Fusion so kept my eyes open for years before I found a second hand one. Others I've used/heard/owned, (none of which matched the Fusion):
Theta Miles
Teac VRDS-7
Teac VRDS-20
Micromega Stage 4
Marantz CD-67SE, 63SE, CD12
Meridian 506
Some Kenwood hyped classic thing that was REALLY ordinary.
Perpetual Technology upsampler/dac
........and probably some others I've forgotten! :D
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

I think you should be selling CD players these days,not buying one,get rid while you can.A squeeze box touch with a decent psu and dac will beat most CD players,pissed all over £2,000 worth of my Naim CDP.Sold it and paid for spotify premium.Drawback is you get used to listening to anything you want without getting off the sofa.Have put on at least one stone since. :shifty:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I did sell it, I no longer have a digital front end. (well only the blu-ray player when background music is required).

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I see no reason why anyone has to make a large compromise on the sound of any item in their system if they can afford £200 to £1000 per item.

Instead of "Source First", the ambitious audiophile should be aiming for "World Class Everywhere".

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Sorry but have to agree with the anti-CD brigade. For me it is a dying medium and one that I never really got on with. CD players prices are continuing to tumble so you could end up with a quickly depreciating asset. Computer audio does however benefit from a good DAC and there are now some very good medium range ones out there now. But its your dosh and your call !

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Sorry but have to disagree with the anti-CD brigade.

Now ok i will gladly put my hand up and admit to being at the ripe old age of 51 a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to things computer based - Fuk Mp3 scares me.....
And i know in these days of so called technology - we are supposed to embrace the future - move with the time's.... :think:.............Ripping....WTF....

But i find it quite pleasing (if not a bit therapeutic) that if i want to play a toon or two.......Then i must trot of to my fairly large archive of C.D.s and L.P.s and dig
out said forgotten composition, open case or remove from sleeve the precious round bit of plastic........insert in tray or place on platter......Hit the tit...and settle
down in my comfy chair for a bit of quality R&R....

Well the doubters said bin yer Vinyl when the young pretender came to town (C.D.)...........Not on yer nelly same way as i wont be binning my C.D. collection any
time soon....Just cause theres Yet another new kid in town.

But its your dosh and your call !