Small speaker recommendations

All general audio posts go here.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Small speaker recommendations

Unread post by jammy395 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-re ... 1e758d912a

Citrus i cant beleive it the buggers went for 20 Quid............ :doh: .........A bloody steal.

Payed 90 Quid for my ones................... :evil:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

jammy395 wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-re ... 1e758d912a

Citrus i cant beleive it the buggers went for 20 Quid............ :doh: .........A bloody steal.

It's probably because they were "collect only" rather than the seller being willing to post/courier them. I'd have bid on them myself if he'd been willing to courier the buggers.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I really don't understand collect only listings (apart from cars) they just kill the price you get. Though I have contacted a couple and said if I send you packaging and arrange shipper (very easy through Interparcel), will they, and they have agreed.

Citrus

Unread post by Citrus »

jammy395 wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-re ... 1e758d912a

Hi Jammy,

Well when you mentioned them before, I did say: "I was about to put them on watching and noticed they're collection only :roll:" - more fool them :shock: they can't be that big for it to be hard to get a box and Interparcel (my preferred carrier as they use UPS) isn't expensive - and you're charging-on the delivery cost anyway...

Good eBay listings (getting top dollar) is a bit of an art and if you put the 'collection only' hurdle in there at the first corner you're going to lose the majority of your audience AND slash your top dollar potential.

I've bought something now anyway... took an expensive punt (give my original budget) - I'll get them on Thursday, but it'll be next week before I really try them. They may not suit my ears/my equipment as sensitive little buggers designed for low wattage/output tube amps apparently... So could still be up for something else.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So why tease us - what are they :shifty:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:So why tease us - what are they :shifty:
+1 :think:
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

jammy395

Gromit wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:So why tease us - what are they :shifty:
+1 :think:
+2 :think:

Citrus

Unread post by Citrus »

Chaps and those of an inquisitive nature... ;) - I've 'tried' to attach a piccie... hopefully it's worked... :pray:
Attachments
Loth-x_BS1.jpg
Loth-x_BS1.jpg (6.98 KiB) Viewed 2510 times

jammy395

Yep Loth were ok ive heard the model youve got and found it ok.........And if i remember pretty sensitive 92db i think........... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Citrus

Unread post by Citrus »

jammy395 wrote:Yep Loth were ok ive heard the model youve got and found it ok.........And if i remember pretty sensitive 92db i think........... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hi Jammy,

Well, I've had them for a week'ish now and on day 1, I'd agree... they were ok... not a bad guess - they're 94db ('if' the literature is to be believed). They have a 6" paper cone woofer and a 1in soft dome tweeter. The 'woofer' runs crossoverless and full range, with the tweeter coming it at 10kHz, with a single polypropylene capacitor running in series with it. After a few days of 'playing/tinkering' with them, they now sound VERY VERY nice. The truncated transmission line had no damping material (none :o ) to absorb the mid/high frequencies before exiting the front facing 'line' - it now does and the bottom end has been significantly reinforced - I think there's easily some more to be had out of them though. They're VERY detailed, clean and open sounding, a very rounded, musical and involving sound (easy to listen to)... well now they are - I really like them :)

The speaker police are yet to judge and issue sentence on them though... (they may not be 'small enough') so there's still a possibility they may end up for sale at some point :naughty: :cry: :roll: :shock: :o