Re: Macca's System Blog

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

How bloody dare you call me an economist :grin:

Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

I thought that was what your degree was in? Must be getting you mixed up with someone else....wouldn't be the first time.

Daniel Quinn

It was , but it was mainly Marxism and social theory economics as opposed to bollocks about economic man , supply and demand and equations explaining everything .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well he used to have a degree in being a bad boy, having fun, propping up bars. BUT then the barmaid got him ;)

Daniel Quinn

:mrgreen:

BilliumB

Unread post by BilliumB »

Sorry, I hope I'm not now being classed as a 'forum egotist' for simply sharing my experience and trying to explore an interesting subject - well I find it interesting anyway!

The majority of my current kit is built to Class I and the reason for my interest in earthing issues. I'm considering the 'coax earth' for signal issues as I thought I made clear. As to cost, I'm not expecting to spend too much (way, way , way less than moving to 6m lengths of LS7 that I've also been wondering about)!

As to safety, I fully agree that you really need to understand what you are doing before touching anything to do with earths. However, as I also stated I'm on a TT earthing system which utilises a local earth rod (rather than PME where the earth connection is provided by the supply system) - in my case reducing the impedance of the connection to earth is likely to improve both electrical safety and signal issues.

I've been wondering about the BMU and its Class II design - just wanted to check that it provides continuity of earth connection from the wall socket through to the earth pins on it's faceplate, given that I'm not currently using NVA kit, but Class I?

As to moving to Class II in the long run, this is something I'm wondering about!

Thanks for an interesting discussion.

Cheers. Bill

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

:roll: where was your name and forum egotist linked. In fact they were referred to separately.

BilliumB

OK thanks - I'd hoped that was the correct interpretation of your message.

Do you care to share any info on the BMU ground connection question at the end of my post?

Cheers. Bill

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No! the question means you don't understand Class II regs. If you understood you wouldn't ask that question - so why have you asked that question.

BilliumB

I'm very happy to agree that I'm no expert on the regs (these days I'm mainly a farmer) - that's why I asked the question! I simply wanted to understand whether the BMU built to Class II regs, would be compatible with acting as the mains feed for equipment built to Class I regs. As I'd mentioned, most of my current kit is Class I and I don't want to compromise the safety of using that equipment if the required ground connection is not in place (given that class II equipment is double insulated and often fed with a 2 core cable raised my concern). If I'm being stupid I'm sure you'll tell me!

Clearly if all of my kit was Class II, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Cheers. Bill

Sorry, edited post as I got my I's and II's muddled!