Sony PS-6750

All general audio posts go here.
istari_knight
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sony PS-6750

Unread post by istari_knight »

Cheers Lindsay. I've been looking at going rates & if they are in gwo the carts are worth nearly £100 alone so £75 isn't such a risk if its turns out to be irreparable.

istari_knight

Well its here... I haven't run it up yet but its in very good cosmetic condition [scratched lid aside] The Goldring is the G820SE version, both carts stylus' look fine - Phew !

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The G820SE was flavour of the month in 74 or so and got an excellent review in one of the mags as I recall, as the Shure M95ED was relentless and almost fatiguing, the M75-ED was slipping down the quality scale and the XLM II, M15e Super, 681EEE and V15III were rather more expensive as I remember. If the diamond ever needs replacing, I'd get Goldring to re-tip it (they do this for old Linn cartridges amongst others and are apparently as good as ESCo) with a modern decent elliptical. It should sound sweet and clear, with a bit more sparkle than the 820E stylus I have.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

istari_knight

According to the seller [a reputable dealer fwiw] the Goldring stylus has had less than 200 hours use, it sounds perfectly fine to me but thanks for the info.

I fired her up & there is no fault so I'm not sure whats going on there but hey I'm not complaining ! It works beautifully, feels superbly made, looks cool & sounds great... I can only imaging how good the 8750 is :mrgreen:

MK1LN4E:)

Unread post by MK1LN4E:) »

selby wrote:Well I wanted a PL-71 as I like the look of it but haven't seen a nice one for sale in ages, not to mention one that I could afford (waiting for the Doc to sell me his ;) )

However I've managed to pick up a 6750 but it's still got its original cartridge. The Ortofon 2M Blue seems to get ok feedback. I need to read up on the difference between MM and MC but I'd rather settle on what's best long term as I'll have to invest in a NVA Phono and will need to decide which route to take.
Obviously I own a 2m blue and I have heard mine with a decent phono stage. Now I was impressed as to the capability of this relatively cheap cartridge, but have also heard how much better MC is, an that MM is merely a starting block into the world of vinyl. Mine is maybe not the greatest deck but holds its own IMO. You also have to remember a a cartridge won't last for ever so get as much use out of it as you can because it's not how much you use it, it's how old it is that matters.
AP90SA, TSS, A80, LS6, LS7, Cube 1, Royd Abbot, Ssp mk1,Mk 2, cyrus CD7, Cyrus psxr, Fons CQ30 sme 3009 tone arm, technics sl150, Ortofon blue MM, pioneer PL-71, denon dl103, phono 2 plus second power supply, AP10P, Cube 3, LS3.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

MK1LN4E:) wrote:
selby wrote:Well I wanted a PL-71 as I like the look of it but haven't seen a nice one for sale in ages, not to mention one that I could afford (waiting for the Doc to sell me his ;) )

However I've managed to pick up a 6750 but it's still got its original cartridge. The Ortofon 2M Blue seems to get ok feedback. I need to read up on the difference between MM and MC but I'd rather settle on what's best long term as I'll have to invest in a NVA Phono and will need to decide which route to take.
Obviously I own a 2m blue and I have heard mine with a decent phono stage. Now I was impressed as to the capability of this relatively cheap cartridge, but have also heard how much better MC is, an that MM is merely a starting block into the world of vinyl. Mine is maybe not the greatest deck but holds its own IMO. You also have to remember a a cartridge won't last for ever so get as much use out of it as you can because it's not how much you use it, it's how old it is that matters.
I've read the opposite to that i.e that there is nothing in the cartridge itself that will degrade with time (unless we are talking eons) so with an MM as long as the tip and cantilever are replaced it will go on forever. That has certainly been my experience. My Nagaoka MP50 left the factory in 1981. New stylus, sounds excellent plus :)

Macca wrote:
MK1LN4E:) wrote:

I've read the opposite to that i.e that there is nothing in the cartridge itself that will degrade with time (unless we are talking eons) so with an MM as long as the tip and cantilever are replaced it will go on forever. That has certainly been my experience. My Nagaoka MP50 left the factory in 1981. New stylus, sounds excellent plus :)
Yes it is the stylus that deteriorates it basically gets blocked but it will get blocked before you wear it out
AP90SA, TSS, A80, LS6, LS7, Cube 1, Royd Abbot, Ssp mk1,Mk 2, cyrus CD7, Cyrus psxr, Fons CQ30 sme 3009 tone arm, technics sl150, Ortofon blue MM, pioneer PL-71, denon dl103, phono 2 plus second power supply, AP10P, Cube 3, LS3.

Yes it is the stylus that deteriorates it basically gets blocked but it will get blocked before you wear it out[/quote]
But unless you purchase a new stylus from the original manufacturer your likely to get an inferior one :(

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

That is why I stick with MM nowadays. With MC you have to buy a whole new cart or send it off for a re-tip. I don't find a good MM worse, just different to a good MC. Vinyl is just such a bizarre format to be using in 2014 I don't really worry to much about the fidelity as long as it sounds good with no obvious problems.

Macca wrote:That is why I stick with MM nowadays. With MC you have to buy a whole new cart or send it off for a re-tip. I don't find a good MM worse, just different to a good MC. Vinyl is just such a bizarre format to be using in 2014 I don't really worry to much about the fidelity as long as it sounds good with no obvious problems.
Interesting I've yet to hear MC so I can't compare, but considering how expensive they can be you would imagine a clear difference. Maybe not so think: