A70 vs A80

All things NVA
BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

A70 vs A80

Unread post by BadgerBeerIsBest »

Hi All
Please could someone tell me what the differences are between the two mono block amps A70 and A80.
Obviously there is more than just the extra 10 watts. Trying to make a decision which one to purchase this week.

I am just purchasing some LS6 cable via Pinkfish the seller tells me that each cable is single banana plug to single banana plug,
as my speakers have by-wire connections are any short jump leads available in LS6 to match or is it ok to use some that I already
have Naim A5.

The new listings on eBay are a good improvement they look much more professional, my only comment would be to add the information that I have requested
above so people new to NVA like myself can make a decision between models perhaps encouraging them to move up a level.
Most enthusiast's when they try a different manufacturer have an initial thirst for knowledge to gain confidence before parting with their money so I think as much info as possible on eBay would help.

Many thanks
Don't gas my Badger........it's not Lager..!

southall-1998
Wales

Re: A70 vs A80

Unread post by southall-1998 »

With the A80's you get more earth quake shattering bass :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

A70 has a single 250va transformer, A80 has separate 160va transformers for input and output.
LS6 is multicore cable (two different conductor types 20 of one and 28 of the other} and can be modified to biwire. You will need to ask Richard for cost.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

I my trawl through the search engines for all things NVA I do remember reading about the LS6 big wires carrying the bass and the small ones the midrange and treble. My problem with converting the cable to by wire one end is that my speakers have a tweeter and a bass/midrange unit, sending midrange signals to the tweeter would be a waist of time. unless of course that information was wrong.
David.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I can't do it to existing cables for the price quoted. The extra price for doing it from new is £30, but as an existing cable has to be disassembled and reassembled again so it cannot be done. So if you need a bi-wire set then you have to buy a bi-wire set. Just to cover my labour cost I would have to charge at least £100 for conversion.

It is all in the archive but I will say it again. NVA amps are unique (so ignore what others are saying) as the four gain stages can be separated and powered separately. In other designs this cannot be done. In the A70 the whole board is powered by one power supply, in the A80 the first three gain stages 1/ input, 2/ pre driver - current mirror 3/ driver have one power supply and the output stage, #4 gain stage is powered by a different power supply. Benefit has very little to do with power it is music. I am sure others with experience of them will add to that.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

BadgerBeerIsBest wrote:I my trawl through the search engines for all things NVA I do remember reading about the LS6 big wires carrying the bass and the small ones the midrange and treble. My problem with converting the cable to by wire one end is that my speakers have a tweeter and a bass/midrange unit, sending midrange signals to the tweeter would be a waist of time. unless of course that information was wrong.
David.
This is complete nonsense, you would need some form of crossover filter network before the cable to do this, all cables cores carry all frequencies.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

It sounds like the usual confusion that arises around bi-amping and bi-wiring. If the cable was set up for bi-wiring then as the doc says all conductors would carry all frequencies but the thicker conductors would in theory be "better" for the bass, so you'd have them connected to your bass/mid speaker connections and use the thinner conductors to feed the tweeters. That's my understanding anyway.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Ok thanks to all will have a look in the archive.
Thanks
David

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

slinger wrote:It sounds like the usual confusion that arises around bi-amping and bi-wiring. If the cable was set up for bi-wiring then as the doc says all conductors would carry all frequencies but the thicker conductors would in theory be "better" for the bass, so you'd have them connected to your bass/mid speaker connections and use the thinner conductors to feed the tweeters. That's my understanding anyway.
I have NVA LS3 biwire and didn't notice any difference between the connectors that suggest one or other should be bass/tweeter - unless I missed something?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Er where exactly is the archive, its not a sticky.